5 day old Macbook Pro scratched!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mozzize, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Mozzize macrumors newbie

Hey guys, new here and really in need of help.

Just received my Late 2008 MacBook Pro from Apple.com/uk and somehow after 5 days of tender care it has a fairly large scratch on the lid just to the right of the Apple logo. Is there anything I can do to fix it without having to send it back to Apple? I've searched about and found something called iKlear but don't know if it really works.

Thanks in advance!

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

nothing will take a scratch out without scratching it even more. sorry!

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

5. jforger macrumors newbie

Why would you send this back to Apple just because of a scratch if you are otherwise happy with it? How much would you be willing to pay to have them fix it?

6. CobraMac macrumors newbie

7. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

That'll polish it and so you'd need to do the whole case. If the OP decided to go that route 'Silvo' would be more suitable.

8. blurfonz macrumors regular

Sad to say I got my lid scratched as well. Kinda sad but yeah gotta live with it. Haizzz. Here's a picture of my scratch!

[​IMG]
    minor or not?? Still a pain!!

9. fried-gold macrumors member

I feel like a complete tosser... i have just spent the past hour polishing my new mbp trying to get a scratch out that my watch made on the front of it, only to shut the lid and discover the scratch was the sleep indicator led. I guess after dropping my camera on my girlfriends macbook pro last year and making a massive dent in it i'm slightly paranoid...

Also Silvo is polish too, the only difference is that it is slightly less abrasive than brasso and therefore more suitable for polishing gold and silver items.

10. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I realise that and would not recommend using it.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Chicks dig scars. Just deal with it.

I had my iPhone for maybe a couple of weeks before I put a nifty ding in the side. Didn't take long for me to get a scratch on the screen either (luckily one you don't see if you aren't looking for it).

It took about a year for my MBP to get some scratches and stuff. Tis what happens when you take it to outdoor events. Best thing to do is buy a cover/case for it, just like with the iPhones. But I just live with it on my MBP. It's all exterior stuff, so it's not like I have lost functionality.

12. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I doubt Apple are going to polish the lid; more likely, they'll replace it, at an astronomical cost to yourself.

That's if they agree to do it; unless the company was making a decent profit from it, I wouldn't expect them to, as it's essentially a waste of time that could be spent fixing actual problems with other computers.

13. blurfonz macrumors regular

hahahaha you are funny my friend

14. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I just installed my InviShield on my MBP and I couldn't be happier. I've always used their products on all of my MBPs just for that added protection. some people can't stand the way the protection gives the MBP a shiney, glossy look but that's okay with me.

the fact that all of my MBPs look brand new when I go to sell them pays for the cost of the protection kits ten times over.

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Can you post some pictures, I'm curious as to how it looks.
    Right now I'm leaning towards going bareback but am intrigued by the Invisible Shield.

16. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

guessing i shouldn't show you my laptop. I don't worry about scratches, if i did i would have never taken it out of the box and started using it.

17. loganpyle macrumors member

people, just be happy that you HAVE the computer and it works! ANYTHING you own, or in life for that matter, is going to get wear and tear from normal use. if you can open your computer, and it works the same, then just leave it be. there are probably tons of technology-starved kids in africa that would kill to have a scratched mbp :D

18. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

..and like they say, "can't take it with you."
    Thats even more true for computers...as you can rarely take anything into the next 5 years, if you can you're lucky.

19. loganpyle macrumors member

exactly, my good sir. the new mbp is a truly beautiful machine, after you look past "crooked f keys" (a joke imo), loose battery covers, sketchy left-side fans, and dumb outside cosmetics :D i love mine! i'm just waiting on my replacement.