5 features that might have saved the iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jp700p, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

1. LTE - Sure the current technology for LTE or WiMax (for you Sprint fans) is a battery hog, but having LTE or Wimax would have been a strong compelling reasons for most people to upgrade.

2. Bigger screen - Apple could have easily fit a slightly bigger screen. Even if it was a hair bigger like 3.7", it would have been another differentiation from the iPhone 4. And something thats "physically" changed, not just software wise.

3. NFC - Near field communication is still in infancy, but if Apple were to include it, you would see NFC adoption rise quickly. Pretty much what Apple has initiated, the rest of the world followed. It would have been another neat feature to use my phone as a credit card or other cool uses with apps built around NFC.

4. LED notification light - One of the most tiniest features on some Android phones add up to the biggest convenience. Everytime I want to check if I missed a notification, I have to turn on my iPhone. On some Android models, I simply have to look at the flashing indicator light, and not have to turn the phone on. Imagine if Apple placed a tiny LED light somewhere near the top of the front of the phone. Maybe it could have flashed 1 color (red). 1 flash means you got a text. 2 flashes means you got an email. And 3 flashes means you for a reminder. This would have been a very compelling reason to upgrade.

5. Lower price - Recent Android phones with similar features to the iPhone 4S have the same or lower price then the iPhone 4S. Apple could have knocked down the price a few bucks, maybe $50? $100 knock down would have been sweet.

16GB = $99
    32GB = $199
    64GB = $299

Overall I think the iPhone 4S was a bore. I know people are comparing the iPhone 3GS announcement to this, but keep in mind the iPhone 3G was way slower then the 3GS. I know the A5 sets the A4 processor on fire for speed, but will the speed be that noticeable on all tasks? Sure it might be a little quicker, but probably won't notice after a few days of using it. When I was using my old 3G iphone and switched to the 3GS, I loved the speed and noticed it everyday for a year until I traded up to the iPhone 4. This feeling probably won't be the case for the iPhone 4S.

What a sad day for iPhone fans :-(

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

ios 5 already integrates the notification light in the led flash. If you'd been paying attention to the beta reports, you'd know this.
    Apple doesn't do cheap phones. If you haven't figured this out yet, you're obviously not paying attention.

3. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Let's think about these for a second.

1 - LTE - Most networks aren't ready for this yet. It'll be a feature on next years phone when the tech is widespread. Adding it now would've upped the cost for no practical reason.

2 - Bigger screen - Nope. I know this one is much asked for on this forum but I just don't care for it. I can reach the whole screen with my thumb on current screen size. Any bigger and I can't. That's a big usability problem.

3 - NFC - Standard for this was JUST agreed upon. Apple have said they won't give it any attention until a standard is agreed upon. Next iPhone will have this.

4 - Notification light - iOS 5 has an option to use the flash as a notification light. Beyond that...meh. Never cared for this on blackberrys and don't care to have it on my iPhone.

5 - Lower price - You want all those above features at a LOWER price? You, sir, are a dreamer. Dream away though. A free iPhone 4S for everyone on the planet would've been nice too! oh well.

It's not a sad day for iPhone fans. The fact people put this much stock in a phone is almost sad in itself. It's not enough to get me to stand in line on release day, but all those people with 3G or 3GS are getting a killer upgrade.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

5. nexsta macrumors 6502

just a redesign with a teardrop design would have saved everything.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Saved it? I'll bet the iP4S will be the best selling iPhone launch yet. Geeks find it a bore but civilians just want a good phone.

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

it doesn't need to be "saved" it will still outsell the top 5 android phones combined.

8. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

All I wanted was a bigger screen!

Such a sad sad day! :eek:

9. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Why would you do that, it will hit $500 by the 4th of July next year. I'm keeping all mine.

10. brodas macrumors regular

No it wont glaxy s 2 will smoke this thing most people didnt want an iphone 4 again we already had it for 15 months we wanned an iphone 5. Im hoping for an iphone 5 in june ;)

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

right if it has a chance to sell any before the galaxy 3 comes out....:roll eyes:

iphone all day.

12. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

yeah, I heard the galaxy s 14 will be out for Christmas 2012.

:apple:all the way

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

THis is an official feature supported by Apple and not from jailbreaking?

So everytime you get a notification, your LED flash flashes?

And you have to keep your phone face-down now?

14. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yes its a feature of iOS 5.

15. rellimie macrumors member

1. While LTE would be nice I wouldn't sacrifice battery life for it. I'd rather have it on my iPad anyways. I do nothing on my phone that requires anything faster than the current 3G.

2. No. I like one handed operations. I've tried the larger screen phones and they don't fit in my hand correctly for one handed use and some (not all) are bulky in the pocket.

3. NFC would have been nice. Not a lot of places that I go utilize it but still.

4. Nice but not a need for me. I can take it or leave it.

5. Lower price is always good and would have been welcome, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

16. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Geeks are the only people who will know the difference between the iPhone 4 and 4S...