5 GHz vs 2.4 GHz

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yanathin, May 29, 2010.

1. yanathin macrumors member

I have a few questions about this new 5 GHz band that the new Airport Extremes and Time Capsules use. First off, will this improve my wireless LAN performance? I have a Time Capsule right now and I use it as a media hub for movies, so I transfer files to it often. On average, it takes around 20 minutes for a 7 GB file. Will getting a new Time Capsule with the simultaneous dual band improve this transfer speed?

Also, my next question. If I were to instead get an Airport Extreme and attach an external HD to the USB port, would transfer speeds be any slower than if I were to get a Time Capsule with a built-in HD? I noticed on Apple's product features page for the current gen Time Capsule that it says there are "new technologies" to make the hard drive in the Time Capsule quicker, but I'm not sure how much of that is true. I would rather use an external, but if transfer speeds are quicker with a new Time Capsule and a built-in HD, then I'll go that route.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

first things first, the tech specs!
    5GHz operates at 300mb/s (37.5MB/s) throughput in the maximum sorta arena.
    2.4Ghz operates at 54mb/s (6.75MB/s) throughput.

in real world, you would swipe off a fair chunk.

5GHz is significantly faster then the 2.4GHz spectrum in data throughput - and the distance is travels is a tiny bit better too. you would really benefit from 5GHz upgrade if you are transferring multi-GB files all the time.

the problem though - you MUST ensure that each computer/device you have is 802.11n (5GHz) compatible. if you have just one 802.11g device, then you will have to run in dual mode (802.11g/n in 2.4ghz) - which means 802.11n runs on 2.4ghz, max speed of about 150mb/s (18.75MB/s). big performance hit.

transfer speeds from the TC compared to a Extreme are roughly the same, USB would be a bit better (apple has stuffed up a few things in the TC). at this stage i recommend going for the Extreme - as you can easily add external storage (you can use USB hubs if you so wish), and the TC still use an internal PSU have a BIG history of failing (the PSU capacitors get fried and the whole thing stops working).

3. yanathin thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I was leaning more towards an Airport Extreme, so that's good news. I've already replaced the hard drive in my Time Capsule, so I agree with the failing thing.

Don't the new Airports have simultaneous dual-band, though? So it can run in both 2.4 AND 5, right? I'm honestly not sure how it works, but it sounds like it can run 802.11g/n in 2.4 along with 802.11n in 5. Or does putting it in simultaneous dual-band mode slow it down?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i back up my quick reply with a long reply :p sorry. had to sleep!

i had a read up on apples specification of "dual band" - i orginally thought that they meant it could run both 802.11n and 802.11g (though in 2.4ghz). having a read it looks like it can indeed run in both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. so no matter what you will be safe :) all of the new apple products (time capsule, extreme, express) can do dual band mode :D