5 hours of battery life? Really?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ero87, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey friends,

Apple.com says that my new macbook should have 5 hours of wireless battery life. When I have the brightness on my screen up full, I have about 2:45 of battery. When it's on the lowest brightness, I have about 4 hours. Do I have a bad battery, or is that standard procedure? When they say 5 hours, do they mean with barely any brightness or CPU being used?

2. Entourage12 macrumors member

77% battery right now, have 3:02 on full brightness using word, wireless and 3 web browsers.

Might be something wrong with yours.

3. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I would say 5 hrs is pretty close. I find the battery life pretty good long as im not doing anything processor intensive.

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

hmmm... is there some kind of app that tests the battery life's function/life/efficacy?

5. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

6. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Batttery life will vary greatly depending on usage. The number of web browsers open means nothing. Screen brightness, bluetooth, wifi, processor intensive activity, use of optical drive, use of hard drive will all cause the battery life to range from a theoretical max of maybe 5 hrs to an average I suspect of maybe 2.5-3.5 hrs to a minimum of somewhat less than 2 hrs.

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

From the fine print on http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

"Testing conducted by Apple in October 2008 using preproduction 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo–based MacBook Pro units with a Higher Graphics Performance setting. Battery life depends on configuration and use. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information. The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%."

I actually sent feedback to Apple a couple weeks ago asking if the MacBook battery performance is advertised based on tests with a MacBook Pro. No response.

8. maxshanly macrumors member

I am getting close to six hours with wireless and bluetooth off and with my screen at half brightness.

9. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

Apple don't respond to feedback.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

yeah same here, im getting about 6 hours with wifi on and screen at half...right now its at 84% 5:10 left.