5 Icon Dock, Multiple Icon Sizes and Default Browser Option

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by binaryskies, Jun 15, 2013.

1. binaryskies macrumors regular

binaryskies

5 Icon Dock
    - Not only does having one app icon in the middle and two on each side look good, but it give me quick and easy access to the apps I use the most without having to take up space and clutter up my home screen. This was one of the first tweaks I installed and fell in love with it.

Multiple Icon Sizes
    - Love the ability to select custom text sizes so the option to take it one step further and shrink or enlarge the icons would be awesome. I personally shrunk the icons to around 70% with Barrel to give me more space on my home screen and to better see my background. Plus, it looks alot neater IMO when they aren't as large. On the flip side, the vision impaired could benefit from this by making them larger.

Default Browser Option
    - Just like they added in Siri the ability to choose which Map App you want to use when you ask Siri a question that involves maps or directions, they should set the option to choose a default browser that will open urls you click on.

Those three tweaks / options are the only things I miss from my jailbroken iPhone. So please Apple, think about adding these to the beta and see what people think. Any suggestions or input with this?

Also, how can I go about actually submitting this to Apple?

2. Kindakrazy macrumors newbie

How do you get Siri to use google maps by default? Did they add this in iOS 7.

3. binaryskies thread starter macrumors regular

binaryskies

Yeah, it's new to iOS 7. From the forum posts I've read on here you can but with Siri only. I plan on actually testing this out tomorrow while having Siri get directions home. Will post more info / results and how tos tomorrow.

4. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Apple would definitely not allow the setting of default apps.
    This will definitely hurt iOS 7 statistics. For example, all those dumb statistics collectors is probably going to say 'iOS traffic has gone down, Chrome web traffic increases 300%' or something. Believe it or not, companies actually pay attention to such news reports as even little reports like these affect reputation adversely.

5. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Love your first 2 ideas. I'm like you in that I'd definitely shrink the icons if I had the option.

With these smaller icons, a 5 icon dock would then both look good and be more practical.

6. Kindakrazy macrumors newbie

I think the only thing I would add is quick reply. Exactly how it is done in bitesms.

7. james1758 macrumors regular

james1758

5icon dock is one thing i loved about my JB iPhone, not having it in iOS7 really has bugged me more than i thought it would!

8. binaryskies thread starter macrumors regular

binaryskies

Yeah, it's sad but true. I can picture this happening. Its unfortunate because it would be a great feature and bring more people to the iPhone. I just hope the additional dock icon and multiple icon sizes doesn't follow down the same road as the browser idea.

----------

Glad I'm not the only one! I had bigify installed to shrink the icon sizes which I do miss, but not as much as I miss the five icon dock tweak. Without it I feel so confused and always have the feeling something is missing.

Also, the quick reply is a cool idea too. I don't think I'd use it personally but I can see the convince of it.

9. Identity Fraud, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

The only reason I'm replying to this old thread is because I was about to make a new thread but saw this was about a month old...

I jailbroke my 3GS years ago, but haven't done it to my iPhone 5 since *most* of the things have been addressed by Apple. However, five icons on the dock would be very beneficial. I find having access to my Phone, Messages, Mail, Calendar on any page I'm on would be perfect.

As for the default apps and web traffic, why does it only seem to be an issue with cellphones? I'm using Chrome right now on my MBP, why on earth shouldn't I be allowed to have default apps on my phone, which is developing amazing technology in a small form factor. The lines between a "personal computer" and "mobile device" is blurring each generation. I'm bought into the iPhone for it's ecosystem, not for Apples default applications. I'm a fan of google's services but not a fan of their Mobile OS, so to me, the best of both worlds is using the GMail App and GMaps. I'd like the ability to click a App Store link in Chrome and have it launch the iOS App Store.

Also, on the iPad in portrait mode, there are six icons on the dock but only four rows.

I'd also like the ability to determine the placement of Apps on the grid (example, on page one I'd want five apps, but one in each corner and one in the center). Rather than just grids after grids, page after page...

10. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Though I agree with the five icon dock idea, I think it would look a bit cluttered given the new icon size.

Here's how it looks with the iOS 6 size:

Attached Files:

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

And inconsistent with only 4 columns of icons available in rows above, which would likely be somewhat odd too (at least by Apple standards).

12. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

The ipad only has 4 in a row but allows 6 on the dock in portrait. 5 in landscape and 6 on the dock.

13. MrMichaelangelo macrumors newbie

Agreed!

The 5 icon dock is the one thing keeping me from updating to iOS 7 right now. Definitely my favourite jailbreak feature. Apple has eventually implemented most other features that jailbreaking used to allow - especially the control center, in place of SB settings.

I wonder if Apple will ever let their customers actually customize their phones . . .