5 min Slow Startup Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nicolle19, Mar 12, 2008.

1. nicolle19 macrumors member

I have a 17” Intel iMac 2.0 1gig which I upgraded to Leopard. I have been having some real slow start up times lately, which take at least 5 mins. It will just stay on the blue start up screen forever and then will finally go to my desktop. I haven’t really noticed any issues when it finally gets up as far as performance. I have called apple and they had me try several different start up options. They then finally had me a do a archive and restore of Leopard. This took and hour or so to do so Apple support was closed when it was done. This did not fix the problem and is still having same issure. The rep said if this didn’t work to call back and it could be a ram issue. It does look like the computer is recognizing the ram under utilities. Any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Open up Disk Utility and see if the hard drive has any problems. 5 minutes is way too long.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Run Disk Utility to repair permissions and repair the disk. If you are still having problems, you might be better off wiping the HD and reinstall Leopard.

TEG

4. nicolle19 thread starter macrumors member

I believe I did that with Apple on the phone with the Leopard Install Disc

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You may have to run the Hardware Test off of your original install CDs.

6. nicolle19 thread starter macrumors member

I have checked the hardrive and it came back fine. I ordered some new ram 2gig from crucial and will install and see if that will do the trick. How do I do any other Hardware test from the disc

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hanging on the blue screen for a ages indicates login apps are taking a while to load. how many items are in your login list in Accounts preferences and what do you have in /Library/StartupItems?

8. joeysteel macrumors newbie

joeysteel

i have exactly the same Imac, but i have not ungraded it to leopard just yet. I still get that same problem where by it takes so long to load up. The only way that i have had to combat that is never turning my mac off. I let it sleep regularly but i only turn it off when asked to do so by an update or by a software change but other than that..stays on.......

i had a post previously that asked a similar question...got some good responses..one of them said that i should keep it on.....i hardly ever get problems when it is on...plus i sit on it for about 15hrs of the day