5 min vids to under 100MB's with mp4?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Penny's Geek, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Penny's Geek macrumors member

I'm trying to streamline my video compression process and need a little help. Here's what I'm doing:

Create 5 minute or so video using Final Cut Express. From there I EXPORT to disk.

I take that video and place it into GarageBand to add the voiceover.

What is the best way to do this?

I've tried using MPEGStreamclip before importing to GB but since GB compresses the video again is this really smart to do?

I'm also using 720 X 540 SD size because I don't want to risk pixelation when the client tries viewing it in fullscreen.

Suggestions are welcomed.

PG

2. simsaladimbamba

I would do it this way.
    Export the finished sequence from FCE using Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) as codec for video and import that into GB.
    Then do your voice over and export the audio part out of Garage Band as .wav or .aiff.
    Then import that audio into FCE and add it to the sequence, and then export the video again using AIC as codec.
    In MPEG Streamclip either use "Export to QuickTime" (CMD+E) or "Export to MPEG-4" (CTRL+CMD+E) and choose the H.264 codec from the Compressor drop down menu.
    For Sound choose "MPEG-4 AAC" and a sample rate of your liking.
    Also check "Limit Data Rate" and enter a value and see, what the resulting file size will be and play with that, but know, that sometimes the file will be a bit bigger, than what MPEG Streamclip says there.
    Set the Quality to 100 and if you have enough time, choose "Multipass/2-pass".

That should keep the transcoding to a minimum.

3. Penny's Geek, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

Penny's Geek thread starter macrumors member

Ok...will try that. thanks.