5 minute boot time on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MONYLINE, Oct 6, 2012.

1. MONYLINE macrumors newbie

I recently cracked my screen and had a new screen (video card?) put in my macbook pro. My system used to boot up in about a minute. After I got the computer back from the shop, it takes 5 minutes to boot up my computer. Can anyone offer me any advice as to why this is happening and what I can do about it? Thank you so much for your help.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Have you tried a fresh install of the operating system - Would probably fix most things. Or if that's too much of a bother have you considered simply sleeping your MacBook instead of shutting it down? Many people never shut their MacBooks down, preferring to sleep them as the "startup time" is much much faster & everything is where you left it :)

3. MONYLINE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply and idea. Ill use the sleep system. But a quick question-when the technician repaired my computer (Lines down the screen)-would he have touched the operating system? What would he touch that affected the boot up so radically?

4. MultiBat macrumors member

MultiBat

I started having my MBP slowing down a lot a couple of weeks ago.
    Boot times increasing all the time from originally 40 seconds to 10-15 minutes.

Turns out my HDD was broken.
    Just wanted to let you know that your HDD could be the problem.

I just switched my HDD to a Samsung 830 SSD. After using it for four days now, I actually consider the broken HDD as a blessing. :D
    Man, the machine is screaming fast now!! :eek:

5. TheAngryPenguin macrumors member

TheAngryPenguin

Have you gone into System Preferences > Startup Disk and 're-blessed' your boot volume since the service was completed? I doubt that anything they did would be related, but it can't hurt to go through the motions and see if it makes any difference. If it does, great! If not, make sure you have a good backup and reinstall the OS from scratch. If boot times are still slow, even after a fresh OS has been installed, your HD may be on its last leg. Make sure you have good backups!