5 month in development, iOS 7.1 beta 5 still slow? Post your experience!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Dynamicswise, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Dynamicswise macrumors newbie

Hi guys! As you know, animation speed was a huge advantage in iOS6, however now we are 6 month after the public release of ios7, and even in the latest beta it takes 1.5 seconds to actually able to swipe through the screens after unlocking your phone. Going from let's say weather app to home screen is slow and feels incoherent with the rest of the system. It seems to take Apple ages to get it back to ios6 level or they don't even care.

Does it bother you in any way? What are your impressions of animation speed in latest beta 7.1?

2. Altis macrumors 68020

That's really disappointing. I was hoping that 7.1 would fix the animation/navigation speed issues. It feels pretty sluggish when navigating/unlocking, despite the apps themselves running well.

People around here have said that the animation speeds were improved, but maybe the delays in touch response are the same.

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

First few betas seemed faster than 4 and 5 for sure. Maybe 6 or the GM will fix speed things up again.

4. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

First few probably felt faster since you were so accustomed to 7.0.4 which is incredibly slow and now beta 4 and 5 don't feel fast anymore since you're used to it again.

5. Dynamicswise thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly! Apple added some speed since beta 2, and it is true that running apps works ok, but every other bits of animations were hardly tweaked at all, making a strange impression. Of course it is still beta, but public release is very soon which is concerning.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

iOS 7 is not slow. The animations are slow. There is a difference. My jailbroken iPhone 5 flies.

7. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

My 7.1 B5 is just as fast as any flavor of IOS 6 is.

8. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Totally agree. The unlocking animation is the worst offender and is still slower than it should be. I never had a problem with the opening folders or apps animations but thats what everyone is gushing over. WOO HOO.

None of that matters if it still takes forever to use the damn phone after unlocking.

Also the pinch animation on iPad now makes you wait for that silly animation to finish. Not so on 7.0.4 where its choppy but instantly responsive to your pinch. Its actually quicker.

9. Dynamicswise thread starter macrumors newbie

Somehow, not a widely discussed issue, yet one of the most important ones.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It does not. Please post a new original video of you reproducing this behavior. Since you are benchmarking iOS 7 it should be freshly restored as new meaning iOS 7 installed and nothing else, e.g., not restored from a backup, no manually installed apps or accounts, etc. Also observe the golden rule: "Never benchmark a beta."

It has been discussed in much detail this forum.

I don't mean to sound cranky (I'm almost done with my first cup of coffee). It's just that videos and rumors float around and people don't step back and understand what they are doing and why something happens. I've seen them and cannot reproduce the delays that some of them have. iOS 7 is a little different right now, but claiming a 1.5 second day is disingenuous at best.

11. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

No it's not. Try swiping the screen while the icons are flying in. There's even a slight delay after they are done. Right now it's almost exactly 2 seconds after unlocking before you can SWIPE to another screen. 7.1 decreases it to about 1.5 seconds. The only way around this is to turn off animations. It's sucks to resort to that just because of a silly unlocking animations because the other animations are not an issue. Hell apple could slow down other animations and would not be as big of a deal as that damn unlock animation.

We get it, it's pretty but now it's time to use our phones. Not quick for those hurry moments to get at something.

Everyone's gushing OMG OMG 7.1 is soooooooo fast. They sped up the open and close of apps and folders. THATS IT. A very slight tweak to he unlocking animations which is the biggest culprit of slowing people down.

12. Dynamicswise thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it is "set up as new". You don't even need a timer for that, it is clear.