5 new apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by coolant113, Jan 15, 2008.

1. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

mail, stocks, weather, maps... i wonder what the fifth one is??? and there is some type of 20 dollar charge for existing users??:apple::apple:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The fifth one is Notes and there is a $20 charge

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Looks like another early adopter tax. I just hope my MacBook doesn't suffer the same fate!

4. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

great price...not, considering you can install these yourself

5. Voch macrumors member

Ugly precedent

(cut-and-paste from my reply in that other thread :) )

I'm on the fence about getting an iPod touch and even though if I buy one now I don't have to pay the $20 fee it sets an ugly precedent: giving Apple money after I buy a device for firmware updates. What about when the SDK comes out? Or the next big feature? :(

Voch

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Fare cop. I am a bit confused how I buy it...

7. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

If now isn't THE best time to jail break, I don't know when is. Apple is just trying to make an easy buck off of the people that don't know it requires no work to get those apps on the iPod Touch.

8. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

this seems like a cheap move by Apple. they figure they can take advantage of the population who is unaware how easy hacking is. i have nothing to worry about though. my icons are even nicer than those anwyway

9. mb425 macrumors newbie

Wait... Let me understand this.

Because I got my iPod touch last year, I have to pay $20 on top of the $299 I already paid to get the new apps, but everyone who buys it after today gets the apps free?

That's completely asinine and a load of BS.
    Talk about corporate greed.

10. dagored macrumors 65816

Everything presented except for Time Capsule is a hook into iTunes to rake in more money. I want new products. A new Mac.

EDIT 1:15 pm Correction. A new laptop. I need a desktop. I have two laptops.

11. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Yeah, it sucks. Apple is going to get hell for this methinks.

12. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I think $20 is a very small price to pay for those 5 apps, but it really makes you wonder why Apple is charging for this. Only existing users need to pay so looking at the math, I'd guess there are between 1-2MM IPT sold so far (that would have to pay). Assume that only 50% would pay for the apps (a lot of people won't care or will just keep it hacked).

We are talking about 500k to 1MM users paying $20 for a sum of $10MM-20MM. That is nothing to Apple in the scheme of things (they offered $100 gift cards to 1MM people after the Iphone issue or $100MM given back in giftcards).

Really makes you wonder why they would do the charge for such a small total with the potential negative press issue.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think this is awesome news! I don't mind spending the $20... I really would rather not have to hack my iPod to get those things... and if $20 is all it takes... I think it would be worth it.... plus, it's the "right" thing to do and you people will just have to live with 1.1.2 firmware and whatever bugs it contains as well as installing useless ugly apps that only half-way work most of the time.... I'm through with hacking... I wanna have my iPod touch hack free and running up to Apple spec.

14. dagored macrumors 65816

Spaz - is that sarcasm? From the guy you has a special icon for wifi on and off?

15. delude macrumors 6502

^I was thinking that too.

I thought I read somewhere on the Apple site that when the SDK does come out that it will cost from $4-$7 for each app, although the creator can send an amount. Also, that it is the source code that you send them, not an executable.

16. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Thats a bunch of crap. I can pay the $20 no problem, but why should I have to pay $20 on top of $400 for the device, when they should've added those apps in the first place. Then on top of it, new owners get it for free? Pfft.

I'll stay with 1.1.2, where I have all the apps and then some and I'll wait till someone finds out a way to jailbreak 1.1.3.

17. djibouti33 macrumors newbie

As a hacked iPod Touch owner who has been running Maps, Mail, Notes, Stocks, and Weather for 3 months now, what pisses me off is that they're charging $20 for simply including it in a software update. There was no new engineering work necessary, evident by the fact that for me to get them running, I simply had to drag from an iPhone and drop into my iPod Touch. Had they needed to totally refactor the app to run on the Touch, I'd understand, but WTF! The work has been done, and my $400 Touch was the same price as the iPhone, so I've already paid up!

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Not sarcasm. People have been screaming for it... now we have it.. you still complain... whatever.

19. dagored macrumors 65816

Not me Spaz I love to hack. Hacking was necessary 10 years ago to get my Windows servers functioning at work.

20. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Spaz, youre very confusing. I thought you were aboard the hack train 100% I mean, you brought us that fantastic Wifi app...

21. aft macrumors regular

It is a little weird that we have to pay but it's only $20, sure that is probably why Apple priced it that way but hey someone wrote the code and they deserve some money.

For the hackers keep hacking and for those who don't have the time or ability to hack, pay for it. It is a convienience thing, you can go to a gas station and pay $1.50 for 1 Coke or go to Sam's club and buy 12 for $8 and yet gas stations still sell Coke everyday. I don't have to write the code or worry about Apple not supporting my hardware failure because I hacked all for the low low price of 20 dollars.

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I was all set to unjailbrake....now? F' That.

Fine if they had to develop all this now and everyone had the option to buy them. But considering they are DONE and ready to go but still making my pay $20? And new users get them for free? I would pay for NEW software, but stuff that Apple crippled for the beginning? Thanks for stickin it to your most loyal customers Apple, we love you too.

23. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Those that have been screaming for it took 5-10 minutes and did it themselves.

So now you can have your little update, pay from your Corporate Greed fund, and say goodnight to great features like Solitaire, WikiTunes and the MPG calculator from iAppADay (and thats just the beginning).

We've been fighting slavery, not paying for it.

24. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I do love that App but, from the very beginning I didn't really "want" to hack my iPod touch... I only needed to because I felt that I needed Notes and Mail. Hacking brought a bunch of other things to the table as well but, I don't NEED those things... I only have them because I can and why not right? Now that 1.1.3 brings some cool new features and I can legally get Mail and Notes, I think my hacking days are pretty much over. I can live without the WifiOnOff app, really. I'm also one of those freaks that pays for shareware and doesn't like to steal stuff from the internet... call me weird.