5 or 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Han Solo 1, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

So I went to Android for a bit, but now I'm itching to get back to the Apple ecosystem.

I'm wondering whether to go with a used 5, or the 5s.

Do you guys think that there is much of a difference? I know the fingerprint scanner is pretty nice, but is it worth it? Any other reasons I should upgrade?

2. solo118 macrumors 65816

I think the 5 would do a fine job, but if you are like me and like to have the latest, then go ahead and get the 5S.

Hell, if you like plastic you could go for a 5C and still have the latest (kind of!)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would go for the 5s as it is more future-proof.

4. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Honestly, I'll be getting the 6 when it comes out. I've had every model iPad, except the first. I usually have to have the latest and greatest, but with these 2 models, it seems like it won't matter as much since I know I will have it only til next September, or whenever the next model comes out.

So with that said, would your answer be the same?

----------

I hear you. I may go that route. I'm just also trying not to break the bank here, if it's not worth it.

Paying full retail with the 5s, or whatever I find on the street for the 5.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

There is not such a thing as a "future proof" smartphone :D

6. cynics macrumors G3

I'd base the decision on your upgrades if you get them. IE if you get an upgrade in a few months pay for the 5 now and use the upgrade on the 6.

7. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

If you lock your phone, get the 5s. The Touch ID is so easy.

8. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

If you planning on switching carriers in the future I recommend the iPhone 5S as it supports most LTE bands in N.A. and you don't have to worry about switching iPhone's.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i ditched my 5 for a 5S and im glad i did. the battery life on the 5S is much better than the 5. that alone is enough for me. and i always use the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone now, another plus.

10. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Personally, the price is the downside. I had to pay $649 for my phone. Worth every penny, though.;

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I switched from my iPhone 4s to a HTC one back in May this year. I had it for about 6 months and I dropped it and destroyed the screen(it was such a pretty screen...). The 5s was available, and my wife had purchased one, so I picked up one for myself.

It's a great phone. I'm happy with the battery life and it's crazy fast. I discovered that TouchID is a great feature, since my phone now has to be password protected for work.

Of course if you come across a great deal on the 5 or 5c, they're great phones too. I, personally, just like having the cutting edge hardware.

12. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

There is many reasons to get 5s over 5. For me the fingerprint scanner alone is worth the extra 100 dollars.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

He's speaking about an used 5 vs a new 5s, so I think the difference will be much more than 100 $ ....

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I agree with much of what has already been said.

If you use a passcode unlock, I would say go for the 5. The conveience alone is great, especially if you tend to lock/unlock your phone often. I probably do this about 50-100 times a day, and it's way convenient. I was a nay sayer, but I do rather like it.

If that doesn't matter to you, stick with the 5 or 5C, especially since you KNOW you are getting the 6. While the hardware, on paper, is a big improvement between the 5/C and the 5S, in practice it is not very noticeable. And, in fact, the A7 has been causing crashes for some (I have had a lot of issues with iRadio).

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think Touch ID is a lot more convenient. The processor and graphics in the 5s is also quite a bit faster.

Otherwise, the two phones are pretty much the same.

16. dba415 macrumors 6502

5S is much more powerful than the 5. If you're getting a 6 no matter what tho, get the 5 and save money.

17. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies, everybody. Great responses.

I have a question about the Touch ID, since so many of you are citing that as the overriding reason.

If I touch it, does the screen automatically turn on to my homescreen? Or do I still have to press the power button at some point?

I have a kernel running on my phone now where I simply double-tap the screen and it will turn on. I would love to continue to not have to press the power button.

18. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

When you press the home button you get your lockscreen, at that point you would just keep your finger on the button for about half a second and it unlocks to your homescreen. Many users press the home button, take their finger off then touch it again to unlock, but this is not necessary. It's pretty seamless.

19. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm. Nice!

How dumb, isn't it? That such a little thing would sway a decision that involves so much money. . . . :rolleyes:

20. Serban Suspended

Its eay to answer
    If you will buy iphone 6 then go for now with iphone 5. If you want to keep this phone 2 years get the iphone 5s

21. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know. That's the smart answer, isn't it.

Touch ID aside, the screen experience, app speed, etc. isn't THAT different, is it?

Plus, I'm planning to JB it. 64-bit devices are having some trouble with most tweaks at present, although I don't think that will continue for much longer.

On the other hand, when it comes time to upgrade to 6, the 5S will have more resale value than the 5.

:confused:

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You are an enthusiastic, like me. Buy a 5s and next Christmas you will buy a 6.

23. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, this is probably what I will most likely do.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

In that case, I'd go for whatever is less expensive.

Agreed, what I meant was that the 5s would get complete updates longer than the 5.

25. SR71 macrumors 68000

I'm in the same boat as you and went with an iPhone 5 over a 5s. I'd prefer the 5s, but a lot of people are selling 5's on Swappa for $350-400, while the 5s is still going for $600-$650. Considering I'll only have this phone till next September (maybe even less if I wanna give some of the next-gen Android phones a try when they're released), it makes more sense to just get a 5 for $350-$400 and just wait it out. The 5 will still have pretty good resale value as iPhone's hold their value very, very well. I'd go for the 5. Fingerprint sensor is great and all (and I'd know since I owned a 5s before switching to a Moto X... and back to iOS now lol), but the speed differences are minor and the 5 will feel even faster once iOS 7.1 is out since the animations are much faster than in iOS 7.0.4. Go for the 5.

I'd recommend Swappa.com if you're looking for a good deal on one. I just bought mine off of their for $375 and it'll be here tomorrow (currently using an iPhone 4 in the meantime and it's infuriating... this thing never should have been allowed to update to iOS 7!). I can't wait! I love Android and everything -- especially the Moto X -- but as a whole, iPhone's are just more complete in my view. Android excelled in Google integration and notifications, but the camera wasn't that great and apps were sometimes great and sometimes bad. Also, for some reason group messaging didn't work after the KitKat update, but worked on Jelly Bean... that was especially annoying since a lot of my friends have iPhone's and I'm involved in about 4-5 group messages. I'll miss Android, but I'm definitely excited to be back on iOS. Whoops, it seemed I got a little off-topic there lol. :)