5-Port USB 2.0 PCI Express Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by longmover, Jan 6, 2010.

1. longmover macrumors member

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I was going to get a similar one (can't remember the exact spec - could have been the same), but I'm now going to hold off for a bank of 3.0s. Especially as they're back compatible.

3. hualon macrumors 6502

Please let us know if it works out for you! I want to get one too since the stuff at OWC is so expensive!

4. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

This may be a dumb question, but with a 2008 MP, can we utilize the extra speed of USB 3.0? Is it just like eSata?

5. longmover thread starter macrumors member

Will do, it's been shipped today so will hopefully have it tomorrow or Saturday. I'll chuck it in and post my findings... :)

6. kxfrog macrumors regular

7. weckart macrumors 68040

I bought the very same card from Currys or PC World for £4.97 a few months back when they were dumping all of the Belkin USB/FW cards. I think they were at that price for about 6 months or so. You might still find one or two in the back of a random branch somewhere.

It has an NEC chip, which is the best. You need to avoid VIA or ALI chips as those are the very worst. VIA chips are by far the most common on the market.

Fully compatible with all USB 2.0 compliant OSes.

8. longmover thread starter macrumors member

No sign of it yet, guess the snow is blame...

9. hualon macrumors 6502

I bit the bullet and bought one anyway... Amazon should deliver mine today and I'll let you know how it goes! :D

10. longmover thread starter macrumors member

Works a treat! No issues at all, just plugged it in and it worked :D

Only slight issue was the crappiness of the packaging, just left to rattle about in an empty box too big for it...

11. hualon macrumors 6502

I had great success too! I drew blood getting the damn thing out of its plastic prison but it works perfectly.