Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
At least we know that the current models don't generally melt in your hands. :D

m+m2.jpg

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
What I find more difficult - Recommending the switch at this time to those I know. Yes, the OS is great. I tell often folks that I enjoy my macs, but with the switch of processors, I just find it more difficult to say switch now. This goes to the point about - DO YOU NEED IT NOW? Family and friends going along with XP now have machines that will last a few more years. I'll still tout the advantages of OS X, but it seems to me that these folks will be just fine waiting another six to eight months before they seriously consider switching.

I can't believe that Rev. A. hardware is going to be the issue - outside of a little security chip or however they decide to do it, it seems like Apple is moving to a world of less unique hardware. The intel world is one where Dell and Gateway have systems ready to ship on the day new Intel processors are announced - I hope Apple will too. If there are Rev. A problems - I would suspect them to be software / os glitches. If those software issues are fixed for a Rev. B machine, then great, the Rev. A problems will be fixed then too.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You can't really understand about Rev A Mac's

Until you're one of the people who simply could not wait and paid $2999 for one of the first Single processor 2.0 GHz G5's only to see yourself left in the dust by the newer dual processor models.

Rev A iMac G5's and Mac mini's both came in with less than desireable VRAM GPU's

We aren't all too pleased when Apple holds back on desirable features, but
it generally happens in new releases. That's why you hear so much about waiting for Rev B's

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
QCassidy352 said:
The dangers of rev. A models are grossly overstated on this board. And even if you did wait for rev. B, it would not be 3-4 years (or 3-5 years as stated by the original poster). The first intel macs will be out this time next year, and there should be revisions on those within 6 months or so, given apple's usual update cycles. Within 18 months there could be some lines that are already on rev. B intel designs.

As always, buy now if you need it now. But frankly, I don't think this is a good time to buy a laptop or a mac mini - all of those lines are getting long in the tooth, and you'd be better off waiting if you are able to. The powermacs and imacs are fine.

I have a Rev iMac g5, iPod mini and iPod shuffle all have no flaws. I buy a computer if i need it and it does not look like an update is coming. I do not really care if its Rev A B C or D. SO i say ya buy a REv A if u need it. Good Call QCassidy352!!

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
farin said:
Ok People...
There are tons, and tons of threads about whether or not this is the time to buy a Powerbook, iBook, ect. My advice is to buy, Here's why:
1. You will get a good 3-5 years out of it before Apple starts actually selling, shipping, and getting the bugs worked out of the Intel Macs.
2. Because there probably won't be an update for the Powerbooks; The new ones were just released in Feb. It could happen, but most likly won't.
3. Do you really want to hold out for a year?
4. The first rev. of Intel Macs will most likly be either A. Buggy, or B. Slower, or just as fast as the PPC macs now.
5. Because Apple is going to continue updated OS support for a while. They have set everything up so that they can compile their OS for both PPC and x86. Don't sweat it, Uncle Steve's got your back.
So, with that said, I just want to let everyone know, I took my own advice and just bought a 12 inch Powerbook with a SuperDrive. I love this computer to death, and I've only had it 10 hours. It absolutly rocks my world. I suggest buying one ASAP, get your money out of it, and save up for the new line of Intel Macs, but wait for the second rev. It will be worth it.

Yeah- I wasn't going to buy a G5 at all after the announcement of the Intels, but our IT guy at work convinced me otherwise. I will probably get one before the end of the year. :) I have a feeling the IntelMacs will be buggy for a while.

Sir

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
surrounded by history
FFTT said:
And of course you're not the least bit envious that the NEW Rev B iMac G5's
offer not only a faster Processor but they upgraded the "permanently soldered in" GPU card to 128MB's VRAM :rolleyes:

Yeah, and after that next new Rev, you will have a new Rev, with yet again a faster Processor and Vram and all that......wait wait wait and you can never play with a Mac!!! ;)

papersushi

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Another reason to consider, first it will takes at least 2 years to have Apple to switch to Intel based Mac completely and considering the installed base of PPC based Mac and current software library, majority of the softwares won't be Intel native for about at least another 1-2 years.

That means if you wait 2 years to buy a Intel based Mac, you have to wait 2 more years before your Intel based Mac can even run most of the softwares natively.

On the other end, when people develop Intel based softwares, chaces are they will always do a PPC native version. You see, you are much better of to buy a PPC Mac now if you need one. There is no reason to wait.

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
farin said:
2. Because there probably won't be an update for the Powerbooks; The new ones were just released in Feb. It could happen, but most likly won't.

Maybe. But I don't see why. Look at the buyer's guide. We have a month and a half until a historically scheduled upgrade. Maybe that is why iBooks are taking so long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.