5 reasons why Apple displays suck

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stephenc92, Dec 6, 2007.

1. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah.. since you suggested that Samsung for an alternative, you don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah ACDs are stupid for a consumer, but they're geared toward the professional market.. people who need color accuracy.. not an extra input for their xbox.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Whatever. The only thing worse than an Apple Fanboy is a Dell Display Fanboy. What a sad thing to be.

My ACD 30" has great color consistency and does everything that I ask of it beautifully.

As I have to live with my monitor for years to come, I am glad that is isn't an ugly Dell polluting my environment.

Enjoy your Dell dude, and thanks for the advice, but I'll keep my ACD.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

[​IMG]

;)

5. ahand macrumors member

haha +1

6. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I logged in to Digg for the first time in months JUST to bury this story.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Wow, Digg spam?...1st time i've seen this garbage.

8. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I don't understand why these forums refuse to give Dell the respect that their displays deserve. They may not be the best, but my 20" Dell 2007WFP S-IPS panel puts out a terrific image and was a great value.

I'm not saying it is a better monitor because I have no idea. All I can say, is that I have no urge to upgrade.

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I think it's more about the way the OP went about than it is the merits of his post. I personally don't like the grainy Apple displays.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Oh my wait a minute I HAVE and ACD OMG!!! what will I ever do.

11. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Dell LCDs are great! No problems against them... It's just the OPs self-promoting stupidity that has us all ticked off.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I actually LOL'd @ that. And yes, no xbox for me but at least I have good color. ;)

As did I.
    I loved my 20" Dell and still use it. However, I found the 30" ACD to be better for me and my needs. I do agree though that the 30" Dell does perform well, but I felt the ACD would be more accurate in terms of color and I'm never going to game on it.

To the OP. Asking people to digg your story is stupid. If it had merit or was even remotely entertaining it'd get dugg based on that. But thanks for linking me to your ad-infested site.

13. stephenc92 thread starter macrumors regular

stephenc92

Who said I have a Dell? I don't have any at the moment.

14. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Please

Please -- you have no idea what you are talking about. Apple displays use an S-IPS panel with extremely finely tuned (coded) Color-LUTS.

These panels, and video drivers, combined with colorsync provide some of the highest quality results for the price. Apple displays define the low end of some of the best displays out there (high-end NEC's, and EIZOs), except the Apple displays start at hundreds of dollars LESS.

Stop spamming, and start learning. You have a lot of work to do.

15. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

Love the use of specifics (numbers perhaps) to back up the assertions here. I love how he calls it a "bad" response time. Compared to what?

How definitive! One customer and they are crap!

Old compared to what?

All the problems? You note one customer complaint and write the brand off as a "terrible value?"

All subjective opinion.

What a crappy piece of (non)journalism.

16. gotzero macrumors 68040

I enjoy the simplicity, viewing angle, and balanced color with no work.

Depending on what you are doing, the factors that separate these displays from the pack may or may not be worth it to you.

There are lots of other displays that have a lot of nice features. I do not have an HDTV (or cable for that matter...) but I do like movies, and would like to get a HD disc player whenever a winner emerges. It would be nice to be able to connect that to one of my 23"s (which would be big enough for me for movies), but I assume this functionality will be added in future generations.

As for depth, I have two 23" displays on arms, and they just seem to take up no space floating in the air above my desk. Huge monitors 2" thick are not worth getting worked up about. I would get no added value from my displays if they were a centimeter thick as opposed to their depth now.

I think the panels (esp bigger panels) from vendors like Dell and HP are great values, and include a lot of the features that make the Apples great plus many additional ones, but for the features that are never mentioned, the Apples are not nearly as overpriced as many feel.

I do no photo or video work, but I get a big premium from never having to mess with my displays, and being able to stare at them for hours on end, fighting deadlines and not experiencing headaches and eye fatigue...

17. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

They only thing between me and an ACD is the frikin' price - 600 for a 20" :eek: (Yeah, supposedly you get what you pay for - just like Apple's RAM;))

As far as everyone saying its all about "consistency", that really doesn't make sense. I've never used any monitor that just randomly changed its calibration.
    If you're a web designer you need to realize that 90%+ of people viewing what you design will be seen it on a different monitor and therefore they will probably see it slightly different than you. If you're a print designer, you need to calibrate your printer with your monitor and, *poof* 100% "consistency".

@OP
    What a bunch of shameless self-promoting spam.

18. je1ani macrumors 6502

No you losers are on the same level :rolleyes:

19. Hmac macrumors 68020

I don't like their grainy displays either. Fortunately, it's been years since they sold those.

20. MvdM macrumors regular

Are you telling us the new displays are not grainy anymore? That would be great!

21. verbose macrumors member

Hmm, I am interested in an ACD, but the age and price factors are real to me. Having said that, its an ACD or nothing for my home use, based on the quality of the ACD, and my experiences using Samsungs at work.

22. kolax macrumors G3

They don't suck. They are amazing. Just overpriced.

Apple need to distinguish two forms of displays - a Pro format (all current ACD's fall under that) and a Consumer format; lower priced screens that are still competitive for quality v's price and feature a typical Apple modern design.

23. Hmac macrumors 68020

Apple's response time is quoted at 14 milliseconds. Dell's display is 12 ms, IIRC. LCD's as TV's are around 8 milliseconds (Bravia and Aquos). The Dell and Apple refresh at 60 hz, modern LCD TV's at 120 hz. Obviously there's a price difference between TV's and computer monitors too.

Spec-wise, the Dell looks a little better than the ACD. In the real world, I seriously doubt anyone could see much difference in ghosting or blurring between the 14 ms ACD and the 12 ms Dell. I watch DVD's on my ACD all the time, as well as using it for FPS video games. I am completely satisfied, see absolutely no reason whatsoever from a performance standpoint to wish I'd gone with the 30" Dell instead of the 30" ACD.

24. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

6-bit TN panel. Apple's is S-IPS.

S-PVA panel. Apple's 23" is S-IPS.

30 inch 14 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM300W01) panel. Same as Apples, other than the listed 2 ms faster. I suspect Apple's panels are updated as they are manufactured. Does anyone have a 30" ACD to see what the current panel is? Just run SwitchResX to find out. Also has USB2 and FW ports - does the Dell?

Apple's are a bit pricy, though.