5 Reasons Why Jailbroken iPhone Apps Suck

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by charlesju, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlesju macrumors newbie

Hey!

I just posted 5 reasons why I think jailbroken iPhone apps suck.

http://www.charlesju.com/2008/07/5-reasons-why-jailbroken-iphone-apps.html

I was wondering what you guys think?

Reposted here:
    There has been a recent uproar in the tech blogger community lately about how much the iPhone SDK sucks. While I agree that there are still a couple of problems with the SDK; a ****ING NDA, lack of control over native apps like iTunes or Safari, and background processes (a more complete list was posted on Gizmodo yesterday), I want to dedicate this post to pointing out the critical flaws to jailbreaking and the jailbreaking community.

1. Apple might crackdown.

Prior to the App Store Apple had no vested interest in combating the jailbreaking community, but now each jailbroken iPhone is a loss of revenue for Apple. As soon as they figure this out, they will get a lot stricter.

2. No "real" companies will program jailbroken apps

Aside from the legal ambiguities from making money from programming for a hacked OS, there simply will never be enough users to justify any serious attempt at creating grandiose applications for the jailbroken SDK. To further justify this point, big VC funds are throwing down hundreds of millions for the official SDK. Simple supply and demand will move all the good developers to the official SDK, and we can see this starting with apps like Tap Tap Revenge being brought under the wing of Tapulous.

3. No great games.

There can never be any great games. While the first generation of gaming on the iPhone included pretty fun creations like Tap Tap Revenge, they will never have the traction to achieve critical mass. Additionally, in conjunction with reason #2, you will never get the big players (ie. EA) to port their games to the jailbroken SDK.

4. Viruses and buggy software.

As cute as it might be to have applications able to take over any part of the phone, this creates lots of problem. If a program fails to close properly, you'll have memory leaks, which are avoided on the official SDK because programs are sandboxed so no matter what happens after the program ends the memory is erased. Further, without a monitoring authority like Apple, you might have programs able to steal all your contact information. This happened with one of the official apps, Auora Feint, which got delisted recently for sending its user's entire contact list, unencrypted, to its servers.

5. No cool official Apple apps and updates.

Apple has created a bunch of official apps and updates that are simple awesome and amazing. For example, the iTunes remote. These are inaccessible from a jailbroken phone.

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Dumb post man. Based out of ignorance? No good programs?

You are nuts.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

1. Sony can't stop custom firmware on the PSP Nintendo can't stop it on the DS. What makes Apple so great that they'll be able to stop jailbreaking?

2. Do you honestly think that the app store apps won't show up on installer?

3. Yeah there were no great games. Just emulators that let you play some of the greatest games ever. Is there anything on the app store that can compare to Chrono Trigger or other great SNES games?

4. None of my 1.1.4 jailbroken apps were as buggy and the 2.0 firmware is.

5. Jailbroken apps are updated and I've had no problem updating my official apps through iTunes and I have a jailbroken iPhone.

Nice try but this is a terrible post. Your reasons are lame and incorrect.

4. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I would only personally jailbreak my phone to tweak the looks of the os, don't like the black background etc, why haven't apple added this feature onto the software?

5. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

This won't happen. Jailbreaking and the installer were never about pirating. If they put the app store apps in there, that would be the end of it.

6. sehender1 macrumors newbie

The only reason I'd jailbreak my phone would be to get a program that'll create a "Today" screen for me, with upcoming calendar appts, recent emails, etc.
    Intelliscreen does this..

But what's frustrating as hell is the idea that "breaking the law" is the only way i can achieve this. Why wouldn't Apple make a sanctioned program that does this? Why wouldn't they work with Intelliborn, who makes Intelliscreen, to incorporate this functionality?

So to get a very basic feature for any business phone, I've got to risk messing up the whole phone and put my warranty at risk.

It's ridiculous, and for those of us who use the phone primarily as a business tool, the lack of such a feature is pretty discouraging. Not a deal-breaker, but very annoying.

Sorry for going on about this in a seemingly unrelated thread, but I'm getting a little miffed about it.
    </end rant>

7. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

totally disagree. there are "secret" installer sources that provide cracks and full versions of installer apps already. therefore, it's only a matter of time until the warez starts showing up again...

btw - i am not promoting the use of warez in any way in this post.

8. iamse7en macrumors member

This post is idiotic. He's wrong on every single point. Is this a joke?

9. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

for real.

1. How is it a loss of revenue for apple? Apple doesnt make any money off of the app store...SJ said this himself, the cost goes straight to the developer.

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I jailbroke for the homebrew apps. I realize that due to the nature of Jailbroken apps (free to dev and submit) there is going to be slightly less quality overall, but there are a lot of VERY well done ones, and those will be what I will put on my phone. I want every app on my phone to look Apple-ish and well made. I can CHOOSE what I want to install. I just wanted more options.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Ummm....Apple makes 30% of every app store program sale.

12. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

really? nvm then, sorry about that.

13. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

This post is probably coming from someone who never has had a jailbroken iPhone. Having had the best of both worlds I can say that jailbroken phones far outweigh "legit" appstore phones as far as functionality and choice of a variety of programs like summerboard and customize. Apple still has plenty of catching up to do as far as jailbroken phones go.

The initial post is idiotic and full of misinformation.:rolleyes:

BTW I'm downloading winpwn 2.0 as i'm typing and I should have my 3G broken in a few minutes.

14. kamiboy macrumors 6502

The iPhone SDK is the best development enviroment I have ever worked with. The only people who put it down are retards that want to poke around where they don't belong or want to create useless apps that will make peoples iPhone run like Wincrap ME.

15. Mattwood macrumors member

Mattwood

Totally agree! when I was on my 2G iPhone running 1.1.4, many of the 'free' apps i had are now a paid download from the app store!

Some/most of the prices on the app store are stupid (granted some games etc are worth it)
    never had buggy software from a free app/game from installer :p

16. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

everyone needs to stop clicking on his link and responding to his comments.

he's obviously spamming his blog. he's had 3 posts and 2 of them are him posting a link to his blog. the other post is a short response to someone responding to his blog post.

we all agree that he doesn't know what he's talking about and honestly, both of his threads should be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.