5 reasons why the new iPad is a game changer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jp700p, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jp700p, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

jp700p macrumors regular

1. Retina display. 2048×1536 resolution is unheard of. Its rare to even find computer monitors that come in that resolution. The display on any portable device is the heart and soul of the device. Even when the iPhone 4 screen size was small, the Retina display destroyed any other competing phone on the market for almost a year. No other manufacture could respond.

2. LTE. With AT&T and Verizon that have both proven LTE is super fast (I have a work phone with LTE and I get no lower then 10 megs down, thats faster then my internet at home!). Imagine surfing at broadband speeds on the road where 4G is available.

3. Apple A5X. The CPU and GPU is blowing the lids off any other tablet on the market. It is the most powerful tablet on the market, bar none. It will be able to play high res games and complex apps. The A5X is nothing to sneeze at. The amount of engineering it took to make it even possible to fit in a thin device should earn the engineers Nobel prizes.

4. Price. Even with all the tech crammed into a thin package, its still the same price as last years model. That new high resolution display is probably not cheap, but Apple is good about dominating suppliers worldwide and probably got a deal.

5. Battery life. Even with a powerful processor, the new iPad is able to maintain its battery life. With 3x the amount of pixels on the display (From 1 million to about 3 million!!) the iPad is still able to squeeze out the same battery life. It has a much bigger battery, but thats amazing because the iPad isn't all that much thicker. Now thats $@*& amazing.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Your viewpoint seems to be in the minority around here right now, but I agree that this is a tremendous upgrade.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well count me along with the minority as well. This is revolutionary.

4. Motliest Crue macrumors regular

Although I won't be buying since my iPad 2 is just fine for what I need - I agree. If I were in the market for an iPad I'd be psyched!!

5. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

The beauty of Apple is resale value. I sold my iPad 2 for only a 100$ less than what i paid for it a year ago. 100$ for retina alone is more than worth it

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

1. Agree
    2. It's not the first tablet to ship with LTE...but will definitely be the one that brings it to more people.
    3. Agree for the most part...the Asus Transformer Prime has a quad-core CPU, but I'm not sure how that will compare to the A5X.
    4. Didn't expect anything different, so agreed.
    5. What I don't fully understand is that the battery is nearly twice as big as the iPad 2 battery, but still gets the same 10 hour life. Can the Retina Display really take that much more juice? The iPhone 4 battery was only 200mah larger than the 3GS battery...so it can't be just because of the RD.

7. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

8. lilo777 macrumors 603

What exactly has changed here? Apple using LCD panels from LG and Samsung? Nothing new here. Apple is simply playing catch up (Android tablets have had better resolution than iPad for quite a while).

LTE was on Android devices for about a year now. Apple is playing catch up once again.

Same price - huge game changer :confused:

Shorter battery life - well, somewhat of a changer but not a big one.

9. Signor S. macrumors member

And that is why I am buying the third generation iPad.

10. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Did I miss where they said the battery was twice as big as the previous version? I just thought they said it was capable of the same life

11. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

It's a fantastic update, and people are just stupid enough to think that it's not big because it doesn't have a drastic exterior re-design, it isn't thinner, it doesn't have a glass casing at the back, blah blah blah. They probably just feel sad that others won't know their iPad is the newer generation when they're using it in public.

Personally, I can't wait to try one out and see what the retina display is like. The iPad 2's screen was nice, but it always felt a bit like a downgrade when going from using the iPod Touch to the iPad. So I really can't wait for this... It must look so beautiful in person.

12. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

It's the 25 watts-hour battery for the 2011 iPad vs the 42.5 watts-hour battery for the 2012 iPad. 42.5/25 = 1.7. So since both last 10 hours, that'd imply that the 2012 iPad is 1.7x more power hungry, aka almost twice the power requirement due to the retina display

13. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Thing is, you're completely disregarding sales. The iPad has been kicking MAJOR ass for the last year- with immensely strong holiday 2011 sales. That's for a 9 month old tablet at the time.

Now, we're talking about the already dominating force in the tablet market getting a HELL of a lot better. The iPad 2 was still holding its own and selling massive numbers, and the new iPad will only continue that trend.

14. Rennir macrumors 6502

I don't disagree but keep in mind for point one, that resolution isn't the only thing that matters when it comes to a screen.

15. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Viewing angles, color reproduction, etc. The iPad excels in all of those

16. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Right. The battery has almost twice the capacity, and it will get the same 10 hours of life.

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

This is a bit too enthusiastic. It's a great update. I'm looking forward to it. But, it isn't a game changer. Sorry.

18. lilo777 macrumors 603

So you are predicting that the sales will stay strong. No change here either ;)

19. zpilot macrumors member

LTE is not a gamechanger if you don't get an iPad without it imo.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

lol. yeah. i got a wifi model. 4g is cool. and, i think it is significant. it just won't matter to me.

a game changer? no. heck, a lot of people don't even have access to 4g yet.

21. sinitesh, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

sinitesh macrumors newbie

Waiting for the ipad 4

The ipad 3 is nice with solid upgrades, but nothing I would call a game changer (just building gradually on what was already there). Apple, especially now with their recent successes, should be more aggressive and innovative. I have a wish list of what I want to see in future generations and had wished even just one would make it into this one.

1.Siri with the ability to read and translate any text from any program (e-books, web pages, etc.) like a real personal assistant.

2.Heptic or other textural simulator (an onscreen keyboard you can feel and use like a physical keyboard would be nice).

3.Witricity or other built-in wireless charging solution from a distance, not induction (solar add-on wouldn't hurt).

4.Pressure sensitivity for artists, designers etc. with more points of contact for brushes etc. and available palm cancellation.

5.Waterproofing and not just for small amounts but down to a decent depth for long periods of time (overall more ruggedness could open doors).

6.Bigger screen (iphone also) for those of us who want to use it as a canvas, get lost in a movie and have a more immersive gaming experience.

7.The ability to both view and produce 3D content aka 3D screen and cameras.

8.Emo audio which would improve audio and add a wow factor. The audio comes directly from the screen itself created in the air in a focused manor which would also increase privacy and decrease the need for headphones.

9.Lip reader for those who like to compose emails etc. verbally but don't want everyone else to hear them talking to themselves.

10.Eye tracker which could create a whole new way to interface with the device and make it even more handicap friendly.

22. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Game changer?!... Justify your purchase else where please

23. 2IS macrumors 68030

Hmmm, wonder if it is going to ship with the same 10watt charger.

24. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Don't you mean Resolutionary? ;)

25. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Completely agree, this iPad is amazing and defiantly enough for me to upgrade