5 week old rMBP 13" Crashed and won't reboot. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Barrierfreeman, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Barrierfreeman macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

Before we start, I have booked an appointment with Apple for the coming Saturday, but in the mean time figured I would pick the brains of you lot.

Right. I picked up this MacBook last week secondhand. It is only 5 weeks old, in mint condition and has full 3 years AppleCare. Installed everything on the Monday and it's been fine all week.

About 30 mins ago it crashed, everything froze and was unresponsive. I shut it down, and rebooted. It wouldn't reboot. Tried several times but with no luck. It either hangs on the loading screen or it hangs on the loading screen like this:

[​IMG]

I have checked disks via disk util off the recovery partition, and run diagnostics. Both of which reported no issues.

Anyone seen anything like this before, so I have a rough idea whether its hardware or software?

Guess next thing is a reinstall. :(

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Looks GPU related to me. Good thing it has warranty, because if the restore doesn't work it'll probably need a new logic board.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

4. Barrierfreeman, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

Barrierfreeman thread starter macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

I can boot into safe mode ok. But restarting has it crashing again. Really not sure what to think.

Basically, my nearest Apple Store is an hours drive away, so trying to troubleshoot as much as I can before heading down there.

Edit: Booted into safe mode, downloaded and installed Yosemite in the hope anything corrupted like graphics drivers would get fixed. Installed ok, rebooted, but back to crashing out with the above pic* for a bit then just a black screen with the cursor showing. Cursor is moveable.

*or similar:

[​IMG]

5. dsmedic10 macrumors member

Take it back - like posted earlier, looks like a GPU hardware problem. Unusual as the 13" has the built-in iGPU but regardless, it seems messed up. 5 weeks in you have a warranty so use it.

6. Barrierfreeman thread starter macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

After spending an hour of the phone with Apple tech....which ended up with us nuking the partition and installing Yosemite on fresh, he told me he was out of ideas, and I had to take it in. He was convinced it was a software issue, but assume wiping the drive and reinstalling Yosemite from the recovery partition ruled that out.

So looks like a road trip tomorrow to go get it looked at.....then another one probably to go collect it. Hoping they'll replace, but guy on the phone sounded doubtful

On a sidenote, I never realised Apple laptops slipped between the cracks when it came to onsite and remote service. As desktops are covered via onsite warranty, and iPads/iPhones can be sent in. It's only the laptops which you have to take to store.

7. dsmedic10 macrumors member

I would not have thought about on-site service with my laptop either. I guess that's because I have an Apple store within 15 minutes of my house at the local mall. Good luck with the replacement.

8. Barrierfreeman thread starter macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

Thanks, dsmedic. Managed to get an earlier appointment so off to Apple this morning.

I did ring Apple again, and got a different advisor who said Apple could collect the MacBook Pro, but decided to have a go at getting a replacement in store first. Doubt it will fly, but I got to try I guess.

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Good luck and post back

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I am quite sure they have to 100% rule out software as being the cause, and thus pretend that software is the cause all the time, no matter if they can hear that the problem is likely hardware based.