5 year old 20" cinema display, looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rugby06, Sep 3, 2010.

1. rugby06 macrumors newbie

I have a 20" cinema display that i'm looking to upgrade to something larger. saw a 24" dell display for around $200. Anyone have any idea how much i could sell my apple display for? worth even selling it at this point?

thanks

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I've got no idea what you could ask for you 20" ACD, I can tell you though that it is NOT advisable to 'upgrade' to a dirt cheap $200 24" display.
    You would downgrade by all means.

You're coming from a top notch IPS panel and want to buy a dirt cheap $200 display. I can guarantee you, you'll be disappointed about the image quality.

3. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

It's actually a huge downgrade. If you don't need the added resolution for any particular reason, stay with the ACD. If you feel as though you need to sell it, it would likely fetch around $300.

4. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

That advice is questionable at best. The ACD has some major short comings for example:
    1.) not HDCP compliant (yes this is an issue)
    2.) color space is fine but relative to other displays on the market 16.7 million is middle of the pack
    3.) TFT LCD technology is showing its age especially with LED display (speaking from experience going from TFT LCD to LED based) LEDs are brighter and more even in backlighting (assuming the display is a quality one)
    4.) contrast ratio 400:1 is a bit low (my dell displays avg 1000:1 static) especially for static contrast ratio (I am ignoring brightness because those measurements are notoriously unreliable)
    5.) Response time 16ms is slow very slow you are talking about 60FPS for games this is just not going to cut it and just for high speed motion on screen this is potentially problematic
    6.) Resolution: 1680x1050 within the realm of 20" monitors is inline with what is expected for that size

I will say I do like the design and the firewire and usb ports built in.

@rugby06
    I would upgrade if you can find a good monitor the question is which dell monitor is this? (I would go LED if possible) A note about dell monitors they are nice but you have to calibrate them otherwise there color sucks (in my experience).

Cheers