50,000 pre-orders in the us

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vampireweek-end, Apr 13, 2015.

1. vampireweek-end macrumors newbie

2. Geert76 macrumors 65816

48.000 sold online...and 47.800 will be received in about 4 - 6 weeks from now :D:D:D

3. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

I'm so used of reading iPhone numbers that that looks small, but I guess not in terms of Mac. Hopefully it means they can churn them out fast enough so those in Europe don't have to wait ages.

Also surprised that 512GB was preferred model. The base model had double the storage of other base models and the price difference was prohibitive.

4. vampireweek-end thread starter macrumors newbie

My thought exactly :D

5. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

if Space Gray outsold Gold 58%-36% why was Gold the first MacBook to slip to 3-4 weeks and then 4-6 weeks for both the base and 1.2 model?

6. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

Because stock was lower than demand I'd guess.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Apple most likely expected the gold to be the least popular option, and thus had less manufactured, and demand outstripped production of that particular model first.

8. DennisD7 macrumors member

I ordered the silver one so now I feel special :) ... the 6% club

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Seems like they shouldve known given how popular the gold option of the iPhone is.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The space grey still outsells the gold by a large margin.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I think the iPhone is more of a fashion statement than a Macbook is, at this point, so maybe that may account for less units. Or maybe they just didn't have the production capacity they needed for gold colors.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

That may be true but the point is still the same.

13. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

48,000 and we have to wait weeks. Seems lazy on their part.

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Who is Slice Intelligence and what is their track record? I don't remember hearing about them prior to today.

15. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Everyone's about that black on black life! Looks slick in person, I hope future MBP's adopt this. More than welcomed.

Hell if the Lamborghini dealership is selling matte black or dark gray cars, it's obviously "in".

16. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I wonder how the sales compare to other Apple laptop introductions?

17. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Further down the same page, they say this:

"About This Data

With a panel of more than 2 million online shoppers, Slice Intelligence offers the most detailed and precise digital commerce data available, reported daily.

Slice Intelligence is the only service to measure digital commerce directly from the consumer, across all retailers, at the item level, over time. This retailer-independent methodology accurately measures commerce as it happens. By extracting detailed information from hundreds of millions of aggregated and anonymized e-receipts, Slice can map the entire Purchase Graph, connecting each and every consumer to all their purchases.

Slice gets its data from e-receipts – not a browser, app or software installed by the end-user – so its measurement reflects comprehensive shopping behavior across multiple devices, over time which are key in an increasingly omnichannel retail world."

Not sure what to make of that.

18. noobinator macrumors 601

I'm starting to think they made about 2 dozen of each color and are making the rest based on orders. lol

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

considering only select stores got displays, that does not sound far off haha.

20. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

It's no secret Quanta botched the job. Those of us who follow Apple news knew supplies were going to be very limited last month

21. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

God forbid they have done any market research on a product before release to help determine how many would be ordered, and of which colors.

Apple loves to think they know what people want, often to a fault. Case in point, this release.

22. MickeyDoodle macrumors newbie

I would expect to see that space grey outsold gold. I am sure a lot of potential buyers of gold quickly switched to space grey when they didn't want to wait the 3-4 weeks shipping for gold.

23. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yeah, no kidding. I went silver, primarily because the lighter color tends to show scratches less.