50 cent message fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c84216, Jul 2, 2007.

1. c84216 macrumors member

Hey all. I've never had a data plan before, so I don't know AT&T's policy. I know it said there is a 50 cent fee for all messages above 300k. All I need to know is if this includes incoming e-mail messages? I wouldn't imagine so since it pulls from a server (so I figure it would come like internet does), but my mother likes to send me pictures and I have to send myself large PDFs, so I don't want to find myself being charged repeatedly for things I get and do ordinarily. It would be nice if it was just in reference to text messages, but I'm not certain. I won't be sending 300kb + e-mails from the phone, so that doesn't matter. All that I am worried about is incoming e-mails. Thanks a bunch!

2. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

as far as I knew the data portion was unlimited. I know if you exceed your text message allowance you will start to be charged per message.

3. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Who told you about this fee? In my previous two data plans with AT&T/Cingular, unlimited data meant unlimited data (not SMS of course). So I have never had any extra charges other than international roaming when out of the country.

I expect the new data plan to be the same.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I can't believe rappers get their own higher fee structure. That seems unfair!

:cool:

I read someone explain this yesterday that the data part of mail etc is covered. So it would only count if somehow the text was more than 300k, and I don't even know if that would count for mail, only text messages.

I do not think it is anything to worry about to be honest.

5. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm so sorry, but someone had to...

[​IMG]

I think there must be a misunderstanding. I know that if a text message is too long it can count as multiple text messages. I'd very much like to know what's going on here as well.

6. sbrownla macrumors regular

50c fee

It's for MMS Picture/Media messages that are over 300k. Email on the iPhone is part of Unlimited Data, not SMS Text Messaging, so you don't have to worry about that. No MMS with iPhone.

It's in the terms: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone-terms.jsp

Oh, and check out the typo, hahaha, "Messages over 300 KBs billed and additional 50¢/message."

7. sbrownla macrumors regular

over 160

"Messages are limited to 160 characters per message."

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone-terms.jsp under heading II.