50 gigs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Singin Hobo, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

I'm trying to clear off the space on my computer and I'm having trouble tracking down the missing data. I've narrowed most of it down to my user profile who seems to be needlessly hoarding 50GB... the user folder's "Get Info" is showing that it's taking up 200GB, but when I open it and add up all of the "Get Info"s from its folders it doesn't quite add up to 150GB.
    I've checked the caches as far as I can tell, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Yosemite, Retina MBP purchased June 2014

Thank you for your help.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

If you run it with sudo (As shown below), it will include some system files that it woud not normally have access to scan. That is a more accurate representation of what's consuming your drive.
    Code:
    sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper
    Another option is to use this terminal command
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

I prefer to redirect it to a text file (this puts it in your Documents folder
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g / > ~/Documents/du.txt

Like the sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper command, it will scan all directories, but produce a text file as opposed to showing the results in a window