50 hours. Really?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPS, Oct 28, 2012.

1. JPS macrumors regular

I'm transferring the contents of a 2009 MBPS to a mid-2012 MBP. I connected them via Ethernet cable, though I suspect the transfer is done wirelessly.

I'm informed it'll take 50 hours. In the past it's only taken 2 hours at the most. Can this be right?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That time is just an estimate. You may also have an issue with slow wifi.

How much data are you transferring?

4. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

That doesn't sound right at all. Over gigabit Ethernet you would be able to transfer the contents of even large drives in a few hours. As already said, defiantly turn of the wifi & start again!

5. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

It's a good deal of data. Turning off WiFi doesn't seem to have changed the time. It's now down to 39 hours via Ethernet cable.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would let it roll. Hopefully it shouldn't take that long.

7. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

I'd actually prefer to use FireWire, but when I began the migration that didn't seem to be an option. Can I actually stop the process without losing any data and connect via FW?

8. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

How much data? You might also be getting slow down if you're connecting via Ethernet through a router with 10/100Mb ports. Connecting them directly with an Ethernet cable should give you Gigabit speeds.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, the estimate was wrong. It should update and get more accurate as the transfer progresses.

10. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

They're now solely connected bus Ethernet cable. Still showing 39 hours. And can I now reconnect my Airport Express without interfering with the transfer?

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The time calculation algorithm is just a constantly changing guess and I don't know why people think a coder can predict the future. (which is basically what time calculations are).

It goes from 50 to 39... what does that tell you?

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The data on your 2009 model isn't going anywhere. You may cause problems stopping the transfer to your new MBP though(I've never tried stopping it like you're thinking). Worst case scenario, you may have to reinstall OSX. I doubt that would happen though.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm not sure why FW wasn't an option?

14. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Yep that should be ok your Airport shouldn't cause any issues now that the transfer is going. As already said by T5BRICK, the time estimate should eventually go down if you're now connected at a faster speed.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It is still an option, I'm pretty sure it just isn't mentioned anymore.

16. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

17. sno1man macrumors regular

+1 this

The way the app estimates this is pretty dumb. It takes a look at the first 25 files it accesses and bases the estimate on that. If those files are say 1.2 GB movies, then it's going to be way off.

Last time I did it was with my new 13 . It started out saying 27 hours and after about 30 minutes, the estimate was down to 2.5 hours. Total time was just over 3 hours and I have a lot of files

18. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

It's been displaying 39 hours and 31 minutes for over an hour now.

19. sno1man macrumors regular

that's too long,
    I'd force quit and reboot and try again. and as others have said, make sure you turn off wi-fi first.

20. JPS thread starter macrumors regular

Just spoke to Apple. Restarted the whole process with Ethernet cable and the time remaining is just a few hours.

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Good to hear you got it sorted out. I prefer using firewire as well, but last time I actually used ethernet. I'm actually curious how quick it will be to transfer data in the future if both Macs have SSDs and a Thunderbolt interface is used.

22. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The mighty RESET triumphs again.