50 mm. (macro (?)) lens, DX camera - portrait and wide noses(?) : ) !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by igmolinav, Jan 5, 2012.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

A 50 mm. lens, either a macro or plain version, will
    'make the effect' of a 75 to 80 mm. lens with a DX
    format.

Does that mean that I'll also get noses a bit wide
    when doing prtraiture with a 50 mm. lens?? Has
    your experience being positive with this focal lens
    on a DX body?

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I would merge this post with your previous thread you made just 2 minutes ago. They're both about photography.

3. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Focal length has NO impact on perspective (i.e. wide noses, for example).

The "wide noses" you get when doing portraiture with a short focal length lens is caused by being closer to the subject when using a shorter focal length, not by the focal length itself. A portrait taken with a 200mm lens will look identical to one taken with a 20mm lens and then cropped by 10x (IQ will not be the same, of course, but perspective will).

It's important to remember that focal length is a function of the lens, not of the sensor size. A 50mm lens will ALWAYS be a 50mm lens; what changes is the angle of view.

If you use a 50mm lens on a camera with an APC-C sensor, the angle of view will be equivalent to that of an 75-80mm lens on a 35mm sensor (i.e. full frame). The upshot of this is that you'll have to stand further back from the subject when using the APS-C body in order to get the same framing you would have had with a full frame body. And this will also change your perspective (i.e. the size relationship between near and far objects), as well as the depth of field.

So the answer to your question is: no, you will not have the same "wide noses" with the 50 on an APS-C body, but not because the focal length has changed (it hasn't) and not because focal length has anything to do with perspective (it doesn't) but because you've had to move further away from the subject to maintain the framing.

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you : ) !!! Cool, well explained !!!

igmolinav : ) !!!

P.S. How do I merge them ??

5. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

By that logic, the Digital Photography forum should contain only a single thread. I guess you should merge every thread ever created here because they're all about photography too. :p :rolleyes:

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Huh? You're quite the strawman aren't you? I meant what I said in the sense that he created two threads, two minutes apart from one another, about photography, in two separate areas whereas it would have been just as effective to post one thread in one place and include both questions.

7. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I was just poking fun at your statement that both of his threads are "about photography," which is what one should expect in a forum dedicated to photography. His two questions were actually quite distinct from one another. This thread regards the relationship between focal length and perspective and its ramifications for portraiture. The other thread is a gear/purchasing question regarding camera bodies. Such distinct topics are better handled in different threads to keep the replies organized.

8. soco macrumors 68030

soco

As a regular photography forum participant, I'll pass the better judgement to you on this. Trust me, I wasn't being a faux-moderator-minded type trying to tell him what to do. I just saw an opportunity to better direct someone's questions so they would get answered more easily.

It seems though that certain sub-forums do have a "side community" feel to them, this included.

Carry on. :cool:

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The only people who can do this are the Moderators. You can click the Report triangle under the user name in either post and request that it be merged. They aren't really as redundant as the former Mr. Pink suggests. One is a lens effect question and the other is a gear purchase question. The problem is that you started two threads back to back without letting the first question gain some traction from the users.

The same lens on either a crop or full frame cameras sees the same thing, so the perspectives don't change. The only difference is that the crop frame cameras see less of the same image because it's smaller. Look at the comparison images in this link. The vertical lines are essentially the same with no distortion added by the crop frame.

50mm Nikon on DPReview

Dale