Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

popsandfriends

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Hello,
Today i tried doing a software update from 10.4.5 to 10.4.7, And when I opened Software update, it bounced and crashed immediately. I reclicked it, I only got one bounce out of it and it stopped. So i opened up Safari, downloaded the package for 10.4.7 and tried to install it, but my installer was now doing the same thing, So i used Pacifist. I restarted, and now Safari, Installer, software Update, and my finder window minimize no longer work!!! I tried to repair permissions, successful, tired to repair disk, it gave me a failure! So i tried booting from a panther CD, and my working drive didnt recognize it on startup!!!! I am too upset here, how Do i fix this without a full erase???

thanks,
Hunter

EDIT: Lost the ability to disk mount

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
If booting from a Panther install disc (don't you have the Tiger install disc around somewhere?) didn't even show the drve (did you launch Disk Utility and see what it shows?), that sounds more like a coincidental hardware failure than anything caused by your OS update.

Regardless, if you haven't already, boot from the newest OS install disc you have, launch Disk Utility from the menu, and try repairing the drive. If you get a SMART error or the drive doesn't even show up, it's a hardware failure. If it checks out ok (maybe after repairs), then your only option is probably to Archive and Install 10.4, then re-upgrade using the combo updater.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.