50"+ Wall Mountable iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PAC88, Mar 2, 2012.

1. PAC88 macrumors 6502

Is that essentially what this rumored 2013 Apple TV thing is going to be?

I'm also curious if it will be able to be used as a stand alone device or need a smaller iOS device to control it or sync with.. I would hate to have to talk to it all the time...

I've been wanting a giant touchscreen with a simple stand alone OS (like iOS) for a very long time.. like an iPad that's bigger than me. So I can hang it on the wall, stand in front of it and have access to a life size calendar, stock quote etc.. I've been wanting something like this for as long as I can remember. I have a feeling the TV thing won't be anything close to what I just described though..

2. maclook macrumors 65816

I'm assuming you're not trolling so I'll answer seriously.

I don't think so. There will be nasty fingerprints all over your TV. You don't want to stand up and walk over to your TV to change channels. The touchscreen isn't necessary. A good iPad/iPhone remote app should handle touchscreen functions and a simple remote and maybe even Siri will help basic navigation.

So basically what I'm expecting is a TV with AppleTV software with support for TV apps. Every channel will act like WatchESPN does now in that it provides live TV and some on demand options.

3. PAC88, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

PAC88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know it sounds funny but I am actually being serious.

interesting what you said. I've never used the apple tv box that's out right now. so maybe I'm a little behind on how it works.

you're right with the fingerprints. I guess I'm thinking of using it more as a organizer/light task manager like the ipad than an actual tv replacement. I would have this thing hanging in portrait mode in my office or kitchen.. maybe that's weird.

Do you think there will be apps where you can actually access a calendar or notepad & input/save information?

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

5. PAC88 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow, aside from the price ($8.5k starting) that's basically what I'm thinking of.. I didn't know those things were actually in production. having iOS on that would be incredible.

and I never really considered the powerful hardware you need to run something like that. For basic stuff though, it doesn't need to be as powerful.

I wonder if it's possible to build something like that from scratch with android.. finding any touch screen that size is probably going to be freaking expensive though.. ha

6. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Well I guess you could stick an iPad on your wall... And pretend its the 1950's with the screen size :p

You could also air play your iPad to your TV, still not a touch screen TV, but it's getting closer...

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If you have the money, Google for the "NextWindows 2700" series.

They have large multitouch overlay screens, including 50", which can be gotten from places like Buy.com for about $1500.

Demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX1rmy1zlYk

--

There was a company making OSX based touch tablets and even tables like MS' Surface, but I can't seem to find them now.

Anyone remember them?

8. urkel, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

I've always hated the fingerprint reasoning because fingerprints are much more apparent on a 3.5" iPhone or 9.7" iPad than on a big TV.

That said, I don't believe we're going to get a consumer level big screen iPad. But I do love the idea of having a Surface table or big screen TV/Movie-like touch screens.

Windows 8 Hits Big Screen

I could easily see this being used in presentations or non-traditional scenarios so who knows. Maybe one day we will get touchscreen TV's and when it happens then maybe we'll realize it does have uses. (But probably not. I just want it on my Macbook Air)

9. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

How am I going to get this into my pocket? :eek: Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

10. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

A touch surface as a table makes sense. But, um… have you heard of Microsoft's Kinect system? Or seen Minority Report? Actually having to touch the large screen of your television (or whatever you're using it for) seems like a nightmare.

To put it a little less articulately --

Gestures in the air while in front of the device: Yay!
    Actually touching the giant screen on your wall, worrying about if it's mounted stably enough to poke at it, getting your finger smudges on it, having your eyes not but two feet away from the screen: Eww.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The problem is that the MS surface lags big time.

12. maclook macrumors 65816

Can you see Apple doing a demo like this? This big touch screen TV makes sense for maybe commercial and business use like ESPN or other news broadcasters but there's hardly any consumer situation where you'll be standing within reach of your TV so you can look at the weather forecast. I think other companies like to flaunt what they technically can do without ever thinking of the practical uses. We've been using remotes this whole time not because we didn't have the touch screen technology but because we sit far away from our TVs.

The coolest thing to me about the current Apple TV is airplay. If you want to see the weather radar or a big Google map, just airplay it from your iPhone or iPad and control it from there.