$500 CDN for an SE/30 w/mouse?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by TenFour, Feb 17, 2008.

?

Would you take $500 CDN for an SE/30 w/mouse?

1. Yes, take the money and live like a king!

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No, hold out... this thing will be worth a fortune some day!

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. TenFour macrumors member

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Someone offered that to you, if they did, take it, but first check to see if they are buying it for some government secrets on the HD that you can sell to someone else for more.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'd sell that thing in a heart beat. You can get an SE anywhere.

4. TenFour thread starter macrumors member

I just did, but we settled on $625. It's not all peaches and cream, though... I know it's a good deal money wise, but I'm still remiss for letting 'er go:( She was in really good shape, though. And I don't think the buyer was paying for my old school papers.;)

5. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

I may be recievving an SE with the original box and documents. It works and has OS 6. How much is it worth?

6. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

sell it, absolutely. Unless you have some attachment to it.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

not much unless you find a crazy buyer.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

SE/30s go for a lot, but $500 is ridiculous. I'd actually feel a little guilty selling one for that much. On eBay, they sell for less than $50 plus shipping. Heck, the two most recent auctions were for $9.99 (including a Power Mac!) and $11.40.

And, yes, those prices are US, but nowadays, it doesn't really matter, does it? (Hrm, current exchange rate has the Canadian dollar being worth $1.00 USD plus 1/10 of a cent.)

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I simply do not understand this transaction. SIX-HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS!!?!?!?
    That is insane. These things go for mere $20 on eBay. I am shocked.
    If you miss the machine just go buy the one on that link and along with an Imagewriter and a bunch of other crap.

10. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Mmm, Canadian government secrets:confused: If I had to choose any nation in the world to spy on, it would not be Canada

Seriously though I bought an SE for 50 shipped less than 3 months ago from ebay. Perfect condition, hard drive, with a keyboard and mouse.

Hell, I'll put all my stuff in a U-haul and drive to Canada, if you give me this genius's contact info.:p

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

A couple of years ago, i picked up a SE with box for about £10!!
    No joke! Just needed a little TLC and no system software came with it, pretty good condition too.

12. TenFour thread starter macrumors member

I guess certain things are worth more to some than others. The computer was in really good condition and it's a matter of supply and demand. The buyer wanted it, and I wasn't too keen on selling it. I feel I did well by selling it, though. Besides, a 20 year old SE/30 is still more useful than a brand new $900 Dell from Best Buy!:D

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

The OP said it was an SE/30, not an SE. There's a big difference in the price on the used market.

Regardless, I would think only a mint SE/30 (real mint condition, not "ebay mint") in its mint original packaging and mint accessories would approach that amount.

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So what? eBay still shows these machines going for less than $50. I still don't understand, the machine is still useless in today's standards. A collector is one thing, but then again a collector would be out looking for a bargain (like on eBay).

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

eBay doesn't show much of anything at the moment -- very few completed auctions, and a handful of some that haven't closed (which doesn't tell us anything useful at all, since you seem to think that an auction that has not yet ended actually provides a useful figure). But over the last year, several have sold for much more than $50.

I would say you don't understand the nature of collecting. Some collectors might be looking for a bargain, but many serious collectors might be looking for a superb specimen with all the extras and would be willing to pay a premium.

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would have to say I agree with you.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I don't get it.

Did it sell for this?

It would be worth that if it was LIKE NEW VERY COMPLETE IN BOX

Meaning you even have every single part, plastic bag, sleeve and twist-tie for it. :eek:

I saw an LC on ebay like that go for $795.

Then, some idiot, sold an LC II also like-new complete in box for a buy-it-now for $40... :eek:

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Now I really don't understand collecting. An LC for nearly $800??? An LC is a dime a dozen, and a piece of junk for that matter, it only had an 020 in it. Though it was my first color Mac (and probably many many others' too).

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It's cool - especially to have something so old look like it was just taken off the shelf.

Considering that LC's NEW were about $1,000 in 1990 whatever dollars...

I wish I would've saved a copy of the auction, but a Lisa Twiggy machine (with the original 5.25" floppies) went for $10,000 years back. Essentially, the price of one when it was new.