Price Advice $500 for a 2009 13" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gjwilly, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Is that a good deal?
    4GB RAM and a 320GB hard drive.
    Mavericks installed.
    Everything in excellent condition.

It's going to be for a 9-year old to play games and do schoolwork.

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Gut response without knowing the US market: it's slightly on the expensive side. BUT if you know/trust the vendor then it's worth paying the $50 or so premium for peace of mind...

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I've been told $500 was on the high end for my 2011 Macbook Air.

4. kingtj macrumors 68020

Hmm.....

Honestly, I just took a look at used prices for these, all over the net, last night. (One of our loaner MB Pro 13" units got damaged in shipping and unfortunately, the people who signed for the package didn't even unbox it and check it out until now -- so too late to file a damage claim. Was trying to see if a repair was worth the cost or not.)

From what I've seen, you should really be able to find one of these in good working order (maybe with a 250GB drive vs. a 320GB though?) for more like $400-425.

That said? It's a great machine for your purpose. Our family will probably get a couple very similar machines for our middle-school aged kids, because the Dell Windows PCs they use now are already falling apart (missing key-caps, one battery stopped holding a charge, etc.) from using them this school year. OS X reduces the malware/spyware hassles too.

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

CAVEAT: this the Late 09 unibody 2.26GHz, rather than either of the earlier 2.0/2.13GHz 'whitebook' models? The easiest way to distinguish between the two is that the earlier MacBook has a discrete 'clicker' below the touchpad, whereas the later model does not.

$400 for anything other than the unibody 2.26GHz is probably too much.

6. Gjwilly thread starter macrumors 68030

Are you still selling it?
    11" or 13"?
    :)

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

13", and I guess I am? Do you want it? $500 + shipping and insurance, with original box and receipt. I have a black shell for it too, which I'll include if I can find it. AppleCare is good until March 5th 2015.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is a good deal and since he is a 604 rank you know he is a trusted member of the community here. The best part about the 2011s is the ability to run Snow Leopard if you wanted to.

Very nice deal, sir.

9. Gjwilly thread starter macrumors 68030

Sounds good.
    I'll PM you.

10. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

13" i5 'Mid 2011' Airs, in far from perfect condition, sell for ~£600 in the UK.

*weeps*