500 gb Samsung 840 EVO firmware, rev D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnh57, Aug 3, 2015.

1. johnh57 macrumors regular

When I first installed this unit in my 2010 MBP last year I did the firmware update to EXTOCB6Q. As I recall I had to download the the Samsung file, rename from .iso file to a .dmg file and burn the image on a cd-rom. The firmware updated with no issues.

Now, I see firmware is available to go to the EXTODB6Q version. Is this update recommended? I assume it would be functionally the same process, download, rename to .dmg, burn, reboot from optical drive?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Did you read the documentation for the firmware update? You should find a list of fixes or improvements as part of the documentation.

3. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

Went back and read everything again - seems like the firmware update from last year, what I call the 'C' revision, isn't working well overall, though I have not noticed anything. As near as I can understand - it did fine refreshing data on the drive at the time of the update - but it doesn't really help data added to the drive after the firmware update. Thus revision D, which apparently does a periodic read write cycle on the drive.

Last time I did the firmware update I had no luck getting the iso file to work after burning it to a CD-RW. I found 1 blogger that said, essentially, - you have to rename the .iso file to .dmg file - then burn it. That worked for me with no issues at all. Have to wonder why burning the .iso file works for some folks and not others?

Fast forward to today - Following the same procedure. I can get the .iso file, I can rename the file to a .dmg file. and thats about as far as it goes. I've done a complete erase on a unused Memorex CD-RW disk, which reports as being successful. But at Burn, I get a fails to validate error and the optical drive ejects the disk. Upon reinserting the disk, Disk Utilities reports the disk as being unreadable. AARGH. I've tried a handful of other disks with similar results. I have not tried burning the .iso file itself to see if that works.

According to samsung, it is possible to create a bootable thumbdrive and perform the update. I've not tried that yet.

4. newellj macrumors 601

That's been out a long while, as you observed. The update didn't cause any problems on my system although as you may know the 840 EVO drives have been plagued by performance problems that Samsung has not yet resolved (and at this point probably never will).

5. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I picked up some brand new CD-R disks. The .dmg image seems to have burned fine. I also created a bootable usb thumbdrive following instructions on another thread. So I just need to carve out some time to execute the firmware installer. I may wait a bit as I'd hate to brick the darn thing. I'm seriously looking at a new imac if they are on the horizon with the latest updates. - I may clean up this ssd if and when I get an imac up and operating.

The EXTOCB6Q update I did last year installed without a hitch - but the drive was virtually new with very little data on it. Now I have a lot more stuff on it - and it is backed up. So if it does something bad I can probably recover. Probably.