500 Gb Ssd??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by z-hayden, Jun 9, 2009.

1. z-hayden macrumors newbie

Anyone know when a 500GB+ solid state drive will be out. I want to update my macbook pro but am hoping that the storage will increase and also maybe bring the prices down of the lower capacity drives. Any thoughts?? Thanks :)

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Mainstream, we're at what, 128GB now?

Maybe a year or two? Costs are still quite prohibitive on the larger SSDs. Also, it'll be 512GB most likely when it does come around.

Also, engadget just had a post where some company put two 320GB solid state drive together to make a 640GB, but no price was posted/released.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'd say buy it. You only live once. Think about how cool you'll be to your friends for spending fifteen hundred bucks on a drive!

4. z-hayden thread starter macrumors newbie

haha ya right...i'm sensing some sarcasm??? lol that's crazy

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

In truth for the forseeable future we're going to see SSD follow something like Moore's Law. The current NAND memory is getting replaced with smaller processes which double the density.

Thus in principal Intel offered you that 80GB SSD for say $500 in 2008 and made a certain percentage of margin.

In 2009/2010 their 80GB SSD will be based on 34nm fabbing and require half the chips so they can make the same profit selling it to you at $299.

That's how you're going to get your 500GB SSD for a sane price. You may have to wait until mid 2010 or even 2011 but it's coming.

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Toshiba is also offering a 512GB SSD but it cost around the same and it can only be ordered with their notebooks.

It is important that these companies push out 512GB SSD's ASAP because this will drive down the sweet spots (aka 256GB SSD or two 128GB in raid 0)

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

BF

I'm waiting for San Disk's entry. What are they waiting for? They're supposed to be working on SSD that store 3 and 4 bits per cell.

Hmmm that would take a 40GB chunk of NAND and turn it into a 120GB drive or 160GB theoretically. The question is what kind of performance hit will writes take. Their controller is going to have to be Mensa smart.

http://ssd-technology.com/2009/02/sandisks-new-4-bit-mlc-nand-flash/

8. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Personally I would wait and see what Intel has to offer. The rumored 320GB SSD based on 32nm sounds very promising. Plus they are still one of the markets best performers.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

320 will be spendy but it's the size that many laptop users see themselves wanting. Intel's controller is lights out. I'm watching Indilinx to see what they have to offer. Their doing "ok" with the Barefoot (OCZ Vertex, G.Skil and more) controller but it's not Intel level on random read/write.

Evidently Sandisk is going to make a mint on their licensing of X3 and X4 technology. Toshiba and Samsung are relying on this tech heavily from what I read.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know a guy who bought the Mtron 128GB drive for $3000; everyone thought he was an idiot, so he return it. ;)

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Must have been fun...for that split second to have a 3000 dollar drive in his hand.

I don't have an SSD yet but I'm wondering about these 32GB SSD. Snow Leopard is supposed to only take about 6GB of data and that's without going through and doing a lot of pruning.

I'm betting it can easily get down to 5GB meaning that a 32GB SSD install running lean and mean would leave enough space for a good selection of apps and if I can just push larger data to external drives it would be fun to see how fast a good SSD is.

12. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem