500 gig 2.5" drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cave Man, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

2. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

The Hiatchi 500GB drive DOES fit in the MacBook pro 17" model. But is not an option for MacBook (13.3") or Macbook Pro 15" (15.4").

3. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Larry,
    I was actually gonna shoot you guys an email 3 seconds ago as I saw this on your site! Amazing news that it fits in the MBP 17"! My 320gb is getting full!

4. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

How quickly they do fill up...

Amazing how the more hard drive space you have.... the faster it gets filled up. :)

We're looking forward to evaluating the new Samsung 9.5mm 500GB drives - but, fwiw, the Hitachi 500GB 2.5" drive is practically an enterprise level product and it provides exceptional performance. Is a bummer had to be 12.5mmm... so we're most looking forward to seeing the Samsung model. Samsung has been putting out some good drives as of late, hopefully their 9.5mm 500GB will continue this trend.

5. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

This is so true I get more space, and I find stuff to fill it up, its amazing indeed.

6. ilp macrumors member

Do you now when this product will be out? Samsung has a press release claiming the drives are shipping, but I can't find them for sale anywhere.

7. Bokser Guest

Really curious to know as well about the availability of Samsung 500GB drives?
    Larry, do you have an idea when you will stock them?

8. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

I'd like to know the definition of 'shipping' that seems to get used out there for items no where to be found too...

The last information from our Samsung rep (last week) suggested we'd be seeing the 9.5mm 500GB drives sometime mid-May. When the drives are really shipping, that's the real best info. We haven't even seen qual drives as of yet though.

9. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

I have made the decision not to upgrade my HD until when my AppleCare runs out. I wonder if by this time next year there will be 750GB or even 1TB drives that will fit in the 15inch MBP.

In the next 12 months who knows!

10. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

Like most things related to computers... one form or another...

hard drives just get faster, higher capacity, and (except for whatever the latest new high-cap/performance model of the day) and cheaper per gig.

Buy what you need - when you need it. With the exception of memory which has it's ups and downs (way way down right now) - hard drives don't go up in price with age.