500 post count for avatar privilege

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rpaloalto, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Holy cow! You need 500 posts for avatar privilege.

I have been a member since 05' I visit every day for all my mac news and gossip. I have always meant to add a avatar, but just never got around to it. Well I finally got around to doing so and was abruptly cut short as I only have 79 posts. ''Crap'' I cant believe it.

I know I have never been very social in the online scene. even growing up before the www. when we only had aol or prodigy and BBS. I never was very active with the different social boards like most of my class mates.

I guess I'm just sort of surprised, as out of all the forums that I frequent. I feel the closest to Macrumors. Macrumors has been my home page for very long time. Yet I'm no were even close to having a avatar. Which is pretty common for even the most infrequent member.

I'm not asking for a change. I don't disagree with the 500 post requirement. It's a good thing as it promotes site activity, and allows true contributers to be recognized.

I just felt like sharing something that really hit home. my post number 79.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

At the very least, I'm glad you decided to make a thread like this, instead of complaining about it. :) I thought (and still think) the post requirement is a bit too high, but it's just to make sure you're an active member of the forums.

Hope you continue to hang around!

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Meh, it's the rules. Not like avatars are all that important anyway.

4. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Hey at least you made it past the n00b stage!!!

And as @Cassie says, nice post - good comments.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Don't sweat the 'tar. All it does is put pressure on you to be creative, and expose your shortcomings to the world. All of mine have been crap, and now I don't get invited to any of the good places. ;)

7. pooky macrumors 6502

Says the person who already has one! :)

I'm with you. Looks like I joined 5 years ago. This is post 183. At my current rate of 0.10 posts/day, I'll get a 'tar in roughly 8 years, 250 days. Look out 2017, here I come!

Of course, by that time avatar's will probably be a few thousand pixels in each dimension, and be able to actually speak my posts in my own voice. Just makes it that much harder to create, dangit!

8. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

I've been a member since 2001 and just got an avatar around February 2008, so I understand the OP's concern.

Just post your usual trickle, and it'll come... eventually. :)

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So true. Just look at my 'tar! :D

10. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

The pursuit of an avatar is what add flavor to MR, why just look at my MacBoo! Muha ha ha ha ha
    [​IMG]

11. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

500 posts eh? How do i go about checking how many posts I have done overall

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Just have a look at your profile by either clicking on your name or in Quick Links.

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Only 400 to go

14. cmrn macrumors newbie

cmrn

Now I get why the goal is set high, so people are encouraged to participate in the community, but 500 posts seems a bit too high. I am the founder of a quite active forum that started over two years ago and I only have ~1000 posts over there. It just is a large contrast to every other forum I have seen , where they have no post limit to have an avatar.

15. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Honestly.

Post 2/3/4 comments a day - look in the troubleshooting forums, or rumor discussion - you normally feel compelled to answer in the first one.

And in a few weeks you'll be surprised how much progress you can make.

Plus, having an avatar isn't all that.

People here went through a stage of taking them down, I seem to recall? :confused:

16. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

58 to go for me :eek: actualy, by the times this has posted it should be 57, assuming posts in this forum count of course...

But then thats what i get for generally only replying if no one else has, or is just plain wrong :D

The minimum post count to get an avatar is both good and bad, you get lots of people who evidently don't have a clue trying to answer questions purely to get their count up, or thats how it seems anyway :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.