500GB 12.5mm Drive in a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Feb 18, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I made some enquiries about a 500GB 12.5mm drive as the company claimed it worked in a Macbook Pro.

They have set up a page on their website for me :) (How nice of them), which shows how to install a 12.5mm drive in a Macbook Pro.

The website is here

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

looks like a hash up to me & why not wait till samsung release there 500GB
    9.5mm next month? at least you then dont have to stick rubber bands &
    foam and replace stuff were it aint supposed to be & risk f***king things
    right up

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm thinking the 9.5mm will be more expensive than the 12.5mm. What do other people think?

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

i think your probably right but what happens if you screw something up it'll
    probably cost alot more than the difference between the new 9.5mm and the
    12.5mm and do you really want bits of rubber band & foam floating around
    in your MBP

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think I like the idea of having a loose drive inside my MBP either.

7. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

All I can think of is the huge bulge there would be in the left wrist rest...
    :rolleyes:

MacDann

8. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

According to the photo's on the link in the original post, there's no buldge :)

9. Crossbone macrumors regular

thats cool, i put a 250 GB in my MBP (before they had the option at apple).
    I almost filled it too. I might get a 320 soon, but i want my drive to be in place and not loose.

10. egarnold macrumors newbie

12.5m Fits 17" Macbook Pro like a Glove

I just put the 12.5mm drive in my Macbook Pro 17" and it fits like a glove. There is enough room in the 17" and the drive fits with NO modifications. I use the exact same mounting that the original factory drive used. There is no bulge and it runs cooler than my original factory drive.

And now for the best part. I HAVE 500Gb in my laptop! Well actually it is more like 460Gb when you do Get Info on the drive, but it's great. My old 160Gb drive (actually 142gb) was maxed out, now I have plenty of room. At this point I've maxed out the laptop with 4gb of RAM and the big drive, it is VERY VERY fast, I recommend the upgrade if you can afford it.

11. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

12. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

13. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Are there any informations about a 500GB 9.5mm WD hd?
    At the moment I'm using a 250GB WD Scorpio and I'm very pleased with it.

Dave

14. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

^No Idea but the Samsung is "coming soon"

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Forgot all about this thread,to be honest ive not heard of a WD 500GB 9.5mm drive,when this thread was first posted it looked like a hash as the bloke was using rubber bands,and putting them inside my pro don't/didn't appeal to me. But since then it now looks like it can be done without modifications but im still not interested in the hitachi 12.5mm because of the number of platters it has

16. shfawaz macrumors newbie

shfawaz

I bought the Hitachi 500Gb drive and it fits perfectly inside the HDD cavity of my brand new 17" Macbook Pro. There are no modifications needed and aside from having to take out about 2 dozen screws, the install is a no brainer.

My problem is getting the Leopard 10.5.2 restore from the originally included discs to complete. I've done this restore four times now and each time it stalls out with either 27 minutes left, 1hr 57 minutes left, or some other amount of time and the restore doesn't complete. I've reformatted the drive a couple times myself, and I've let the restore format the HDD with no joy either way

Anyone have any suggestions? Since this is a brand new laptop, I have no previous data or image and just want the factory restore. I've had it check the restore DVD and it doesn't show any problems. I can't imagine what is stopping it like that. The HDD tests fine too.

17. krisis1 macrumors member

12.5mm disks do fit in a 17" MBP, but for a 15.4" you'll need a 9.5mm drive iirc.

18. egarnold macrumors newbie

Restore Problems with 500Gb Drive

First connect your old factory drive externally using either an external drive case or some of the newer cables that are all in one, then you do it by booting from the original factory, there is a key sequence you hold down during boot to boot on the external drive and then from there I formatted the Hitachi drive on the command line. After that was done I copied everything from the factory over to the Hitachi. That's it, then reboot and bingo you are in. I have found one problem. Disk Manager does not like the new drive for some reason and gets real buggy, I'm ok with that since I'm comfortable using the command line to manage drives. Everything else works like a champ! My drive also runs cooler and quieter than my old 160Gb factory drive.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.