500GB 7200 Seagate drive vibrating MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rvenners, Nov 24, 2009.

1. rvenners macrumors newbie

I just installed a Seagate 500GB 7200 drive into my MacBook Pro and the entire MacBook is vibrating, which was no there with the stock 5400 drive. I've read a number of posts on this subject, so obviously many people have encountered it. There are mentions of this problem on Amazon reviews and many places elsewhere. Has anyone heard of a fix? I cannot find one in the forums. When I push down firmly on the surface of the MacBook above the hard-drive, the vibration disappears completely and the laptop is as still as a stone. Perhaps if I put some padding on the surface of the drive? I would love to go with the faster drive, but if the vibration continues with no ideas, I will either get used to it or replace it with a 5400, which I have read reports that that eliminates the vibrations. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks! Also, apologies if this post is in the wrong place...first time posting.

2. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

This should not be. Verify that your installation of the Seagate drive is correct. If you sitll have the vibration, pull the drive and return it.

I have moved a number of hard disks around between MBPs and have never had one come out bad.

Neil.

3. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Thats pretty scary! Hope you get it resolved. I am going to be getting
    a new drive someday soon and that would suck if that happened.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There is no "fix" for the vibration. Either you get it or you don't (from the threads here) also consider your tolerance. The only thing to suggest is to return it and try a new one (chances are you'll end up getting another one that vibrates) or go with another 5400 RPM HDD.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This isn't news. The 7200 RPM drives always vibrated. If they vibrate more than normal than yes, it's faulty but what is "normal"? Simple research would show one of the side effects of a faster drive (ie: 7200 rpm) will actually vibrate.

6. PeterKG macrumors 6502

No padding will stop that Seagate drive from vibrating. I tried many ways and gave up. I pulled it and used it in an external enclosure for a backup drive. Then I installed a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB 5400rpm drive, and have the speed and silent drive.

7. rvenners thread starter macrumors newbie

May Swap Out - Thank You

Thanks for all the replies. These were what I needed to hear. I've already ordered a WD 500 GB 5400 drive and will probably swap that in. The vibration doesn't seem like an abnormal thing, just annoying...and again, perhaps I will get used to it. But according to some, the difference between 5400 and 7200 on a laptop isn't all that spectacular anyway. Also having a new problem since the install of the new drive where the computer dies completely while asleep - battery fully charged. We'll see. Thanks for the input!

8. sesnir macrumors 6502

I know what you mean... my MBP with the stock HDD was so 'perfect'... no vibrations, noise, or anything like that.

My first attempt at installing the 500gb 7200rpm seagate must have been slightly wrong, because the vibration was very noticeable and it was a little noisy.

I took the hard drive out and was a bit more careful at making sure the hard drive was perfectly installed and it seemed better.

Now I don't even notice any vibration unless I'm trying to feel for it.

So it's a combination of 1) make sure the hdd is installed right and 2) get used to the fact that there may be a subtle vibration.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

That's not always true. My Hitachi 7K500 vibrates less than the 5K320 that it replaced.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but it still vibrates, no? To a point where I have yet to see someone truthfully say they couldn't feel it if they stuck their hand on it.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I have yet to feel it vibrating at all while it's installed in my MBP, even with my hand on the wrist-rest.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You said "vibrates less" not "doesn't vibrate". ;) That may be good news. I for one would never buy a deathstar drive, then again I know those who swear WDs are bad.

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Strictly speaking, I was talking about the drive itself. Under different conditions or in a different computer, it may vibrate. I didn't want to say "doesn't vibrate" for the aforementioned reasons. As for calling them "deathstars," that whole issue was when the division was part of IBM, and that same technology when the division was sold to Hitachi. It's been many years since that fiasco. What about the issue with Seagate/Maxtor having the heads break off in their drives, and a seemingly constant stream of firmware issues lately? Production of the 7200.4 hit several delays due to firmware bugs months ago.

14. davidlv macrumors 65816

"Deathstars" were 3.5" drives

The deathstar drives were a series of 3.5" drives that had sudden death issues, several years ago, and this issue is completely off-topic in regard to the 2.5" drives in laptops. The drives made by the various manufacturers all have characteristic qualities, and all have their fans and people that have had bad luck with at least one company. I have had 3 Seagate and 1 Hitachi drive die prematurely, but I do not let that bias my understanding that companies can improve, "can," not always do. Each drive should be considered on its own merits or disadvantages. The general concensus seems to be the WD 5400 500 has the highest number of satisfied users, followed by the Seagate 7200, and the Hitachi drive has just come out so there are few reports to judge from. In my experience, 2.5" Toshiba drives have always been faster and more responsive than Hitachi 2.5" drives, and I am completely satisfied with the performance of the 250 HD Toshiba in my Macbook Pro, like to try the 500GB drive when it is available.
    All of the above is a"personal opinion" - your experience may be completely different. :cool:

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Having seen a fair number of MBP both 7200 and 5400RPM, it has to be said that the level of vibration varies quite a bit between 7200RPM BTO MBPs. Some have much less than others (esp in the tingly vibration you can feel before putting your palms on the palmrest to dampen the HD vibration).