500GB 7200RPM in my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TinyHulk, Apr 24, 2009.

1. TinyHulk macrumors member

Does anyone have any experiences with the Seagate ST9500420AS?

Its 2.5 inch, 500GB and 7200RPM! I have a 100GB atm and I could really benefit from the 500GB!

I never opened my macbook before so I'm also wondering how difficult it is to change the harddrive..

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Very easy to upgrade. Instructions on iFixIt.com

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

according to everything i've heard, this is basically the best laptop hard drive ever. the problem, at the moment, is getting your hands on one. I ordered the 250GB version of the drive, and who knows when it will actually be available.

4. relativist macrumors regular

I've been waiting for these for a while. You should be patient, they will be out eventually. I've also started looking at the OCZ Vertex and the Intel SSD drives, but they are still a bit to expensive for my taste.

5. CBeckstrand macrumors member

I preordered one from Newegg back when they first came out. It made my Aluminum Macbook vibrate so bad I could not deal with it. I sent it back for a replacement but they did not have any left so they gave me a refund. I would love to have that drive in my MB but I think I will end up buying a 5400 RPM 500GB.

6. adamjohn_98 macrumors member

Look on eBay

I happened to find and purchase a new ST9500420ASG on eBay last week and successfully installed it in my Unibody MacBook. The seller I purchased mine from is sold out, but as of now, there are several available on eBay from sellers like multiwavevideo (Item # 190302381082).

I was originally holding out for newegg to get them back in stock because of their return/exchange policies, but I've had absolutely no trouble with the one I purchased on eBay.

I'm not noticing any excessive vibrations and am quite pleased with its performance so far. It seems on par, maybe even a tad quicker than my previous drive (Seagate 320gb 7200rpm ST9320421ASG).

Hope this helps!

7. Illicit macrumors 6502

lol. i'm sorry, but that made me crack up :D
    I have the Seagate ST9500420AS in an external case. It works great, but it has problems being detected sometimes. I'd plug in the firewire and it'd keep clicking and the light wouldn't turn solid, then i'd also attach a USB and the firewire at the same time and it'd run fine. Might be an issue with my ports not supplying enough power, or a faulty case.

8. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

what's so great about the momentus 7200.4 anyway? (ST9500420ASG) How does it perform better against the Scorpio Black?

9. adamjohn_98 macrumors member

AFAIK Western Digital doesn't make a 500gb Scorpio Black drive