500gb HD in MB with 500GB Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by scubasteve03, Feb 6, 2009.

1. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Quick question guys. I have the 2.4 AluMB with a 250HD. I am considering purchasing the new 500GB 7200RPM HD. My Time Capsule is only 500GB also. Is it going to be pointless to constantly backing using Time Machine? I know it is good for having one backup of my HD, but am I going to be able to go into Time Machine and restore files from weeks ago. As I understand Time Machine deletes backups when the TC is out of disk space. So if I have used 400GB out of the 500GB that doesn't leave much room for old backups. Right now it is nice to be able to go and find a file that I deleted a few months ago. What do you think? Would switching the HD in TC to a 1TB be a viable option? I've heard that is a pretty arduous task. What are my options? Thanks guys I appreciate the advice.
    ScubaSteve

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

How quickly to you expect to fill up the HD on the macbook?

Also, TM does incremental backups, so even with 20% headroom unless you're changing a lot of files day to day you can go back pretty far. With that much stuff on your drive, I'm guessing a lot is media, and that won't change too often.

Finally, how often are you going to need to restore files from weeks ago? Do you often realize you deleted something accidentally only months later?

3. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

You are correct, I do have a large amount of media. I think it would stay around 400GB on average.
    No, that does not happen very often. I see what you are saying.
    One more question. I know I can attach a USB HD to the TC, but is there anyway I can back up to that like as an extension of TC? Or I suppose I could just leave most of the media on a 1TB HD attached to the TC. Thanks for the insight.