500gb hdd stock apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cake90036, Sep 2, 2011.

1. cake90036 macrumors regular

Anybody have there mbp 500gb hdd lying around that isn't using it that is willing to help me out. I seem to have misplaced mine and need to take mine back to the apple store for repairs but know that they don't look at it unless it is how you purchased it (if I am not mistaken). With that being said I need a replacement apple 5400 500gb hdd, preferably the one that came in the 2011 mbp.
    Thanks for the responses

2. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope.

What repairs do you need? Apple Stores aren't going too care much if there is a different HDD/SSD in there unless the problem is related to it.

4. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I am kind of at a dead end and at the mercy of the apple genius'... I spilled some gatorade on my 5 month old mbp with the extended apple care plan(i know accidental isn't covered) and am about ready to kill myself, considering i am not readyto take a 2000 dollar loss. I am not sure if I tripped the liquid sensors or not , but i feel the ones on the motherboard look fine, but i hear there are some underneath the keboard which I am worried about . Once the liquid was spilled I immediately turned it over and powered it down. However I noticeda blue screen before it shutdown. Anyway, I took off the bottom cover and let it air dry for 48 hrs +. I tried to turn it on and the screen was black, however it did power on and heard the apple chime, just no screen and im pretty sure the keyboard is gone because I cant hear the up volume sound when I click it.... also as one final piece of info, it does take a charge. if that helps

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ahhh.. the truth comes out.

Check out this thread currently in progress.

Spilled a bit of water on my Macbook Pro?

But you're in a worse situation because it was Gatorade. The sugar or sweetener and other ingredients are going to be all over inside of that thing. You aren't going to eliminate the evidence of the spill by any means. The Apple Store isn't going to cover this, regardless of what HDD/SSD you have in there.

Your best bet is to follow the good advice in the other thread and pray that it works. Otherwise, you can politely ask Apple to consider helping you out, although they have no obligation to.

But frankly, in this case, you're probably screwed, blued and tattooed.

Sorry bro.

6. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I already waited 48 hrs or more like i said so I tried turning it on and have no screen and I believe no keyboard so the rice thing isnt really an option (right?). I guess I will have to take it to the apple store and beg and beg. maybe cry a little... idk i just want my mbp back..you feel meh?

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The rice thing is an option. It doesn't cost but a few dollars. Try it, leave it in there for about a week and try it again before going to the store.

I understand your pain though; it sucks.

8. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think it still has a chance even though I turned it on with no luck after waiting the two days? Or are you saying that because it doesn't hurt to try kind of thing.,..

9. SandboxGeneral, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It doesn't hurt to try kind of thing... It's probably a goner but if you don't try, you'll never know.

It's like wanting to ask out a pretty girl, though you think she will say no, and if you don't ask, you'll never know.

10. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

WELL IF YOU PUT IT LIKE THAT! haha jk but nah I will give it a try thanks for your help

11. Nick05 macrumors newbie

Nick05

probably not the best news, but Apple generally has a max repair cost on a problem not covered under warranty. I believe it is usually about half the cost of the item, but not entirely sure. think of it as a worst case scenario that you have to pay that and they give you a refurb or replace all the damage parts.

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

this is why i reocmend the moshi cleargaurd keyboard cover :s

13. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I come to this forum looking for tech advice, and I leave with much, much more.. :)