500GB Internal HD for 2.16Ghz black MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Habitus, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Hey all,

My internal 200GB HD is nearing capacity and I was wondering what my options were for an upgrade. I think I found a good deal on a 500GB internal HD from macsales, the drive is a 2.5" and is 9.5mm in height. The price is fair, about $100 and all I'm looking to do is add more space for music. With this said, the 5400 drive seems to suffice. Is this the maximum size for an internal drive and has anyone else successfully added a 500GB drive to their MacBook? Any advice is appreciated!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes any 500GB 2.5" notebook drive should work with the Hitachi 5K500 as the exception.

3. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

4. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

The Hitachi should work well -- I don't see much good or bad about it -- but it seems to be a nice, functional 5400 drive. The price is good and getting an enclousure for the old drive is a also a good idea.
    I have nothing but great things to say about OWC -- they have great service people and knowledge of Mac stuff. Prices are about as good as you can find. I have also used Amazon by mail, it's good too.
    I ended up buying a WD 7200 Scorpio Black 320gb -- I like it, but mostly bought it because I thought it had a cool name. (Very quiet, no extra heat)

Install is very easy on a Macbook -- ifixit.com

good luck, Mike

5. Knolly macrumors 6502a

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/DIYST500M6U2/

Pay the extra money for the Seagate Momentus, it's the better hard drive. I don't have any benchmarks handy, but if you head over to tomshardware.com the Momentus always beats out its rivals with the same storage and RPM.

Although to be honest, I'd even better recommend you just wait a week or two until stock builds up again of the 7200 rpm 500gb Seagate Momentus. On average, it's only about $10 more than a 5400 rpm drive.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The original Hitachi 5K500 was 12.5mm high so it only could fit in the 17" MBP

7. sideshowbob macrumors newbie