500GB Lacie Rugged - Failed after 2 days! Data Recovery App?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gguerini, Feb 4, 2010.

1. gguerini macrumors regular

gguerini

Hello guys,
    I'm kind of desperate. I bought a Lacie 500GB external HD for Christmas. Last year I used it only once, to copy my files from my old external HD. In the beginning or Jan, I sold my Macbook (I was waiting for the Arrandale) and I haven't used the HD since then. Yesterday I gave up on the wait and I bought a Macbook. I was using the HD normally but in the end of the day it unmounted from my Mac. I tried to plug it in again but nothing... Now I can here few bips, like 4, 5 bips and then they stop. The point is, it's not working.

I have two ideas here:
    1) Use a Data Recovery software, to try to recover the files from my old external hard drive (fortunately, my old one is not being used... ). But I need an app to do that? Do you guys recommend a good data recovery software for mac?

2) I've been reading about the mythical solution: put the HD in the freezer for some hours and try to turn it on again. Just talked to my friend.. he said it only worked once.. so.. I don't know. What do you think considering there is nothing to lose?

3) OUT OF MY MIND: pay $700/$2400 dollars for a data recovery company. Lacie gave me two names.. probably they make money as well !! Hahaha

Suggestion guys?

I really appreciate your attention.

Thanks
    G

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I suspect the drive is fine. It's more likely the enclosure's controller failed. The problem with buying canned drives is you cannot open them to determine which component failed without voiding your warranty. So, you send it in (and get no data recovery) or you open it to see if the drive's ok (and lose the warranty). What are you going to do?

Cave Man's rule #2 on external hard drives: Always assemble a bare drive with a separate external enclosure; never buy a canned drive.

4. gguerini thread starter macrumors regular

gguerini

Hmmm it's true... I don't really think it's a HD problem specially after I reading many other people complaining about suddenly unmount issue like this due to poorly connectors and cables (Lacie). I'll try to recover the data from my old HD, if it works, I will open it and put in another case.

Thank you! ;)

5. gguerini thread starter macrumors regular

gguerini

I put some pressure on Lacie and they formally authorized me to open the enclosure (case) without voiding the warranty. This is a good news for me. I just need to buy a new case and try the HD. I think it's worth it. I can't afford much more than that to recover my files.

But after this issue I'll change my backup habits. I need to be more aware of that. It's when you loose that you the value of your data.

I'll keep you guys updated.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Do yourself a favor and invest in a USB Universal Drive Adapter. I use mine extremely often. Best $30 computer product I've bought in recent years.