500GB or 128GB SSD ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apple.fan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. apple.fan macrumors member

apple.fan

Hi,

I'm going to buy a new Macbook Pro i7 next week but don't know if i should get with 500GB Serial ATA Drive 7200 rpm or 128GB Solid State Drive.

I need a lot of space for a lot of pictures, music and stuff, but maybe a could use an external disc..

What do you think?

(sorry for the bad english)

2. Lixia macrumors newbie

Lixia

I'm also stuck on the same choice.... am waiting for some more information / reviews before I order. I basicly have three questions that I want answered before I order:

- Is the 128 SSD from apple a good idea? Even if subpar to OCZ/Intel, the cost to upgrade (in an i7 15inch) is relatively cheaper than buying one from another retailer.

- 1400x900 or Hi Res for the 15inch....

- How often do they ship laptops with dead/stuck pixels and is it easy to send it back (cost?) for an exchange if it happens? I also bought my macs from stores (Apple Store / Best Buy)

3. apple.fan thread starter macrumors member

apple.fan

I had this question too but i've decided to get the Hi Res

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

So you are going to cash out big time on the top spec laptop, and with the storage you can store.. 4 films and the document you are working on. Not advisable.

Better to go HIGH GB and 7200rpm.

5. apple.fan thread starter macrumors member

apple.fan

Hey! És do Porto? :D Sabes se o novo mac já está nas lojas? Tipo Fnac e isso..

6. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

here is my answer....both.
    buy stock, then rip it out, buy an Intel SSD and put the stock in a USB enclosure and carry it around (or drop it in optical bay). Why? Well Intel beats the apple SSD by sometimes 10x in random access. Also the SSD will be felt every minute you use your computer - unlike RAM or VRAM which is helpful under strain.

not to mention a bit more battery, a bit cooler, and less mechanical parts for noise/loss.

sure you have to carry around an external, but that's a fair trade for < 1 sec app launching in my opinion.

7. Lixia macrumors newbie

Lixia

128gig is enough size for me to carry around. I keep all my media (huge music collection and some ripped videos and tv series) on a networked 1TB drive.

I keep only part of my music collection (the one I listen to the most), some downloads, documents and apps on the laptop itself.

I don't want to shelf out 500$+ for a 160gb intel, my rationale is that I'd take the one from apple (wish is only ~140$ extra) and I'll wait till next year when SSD prices/quality are a better bargain. Is the apple (real brand?) ssd still way better than a regular HD? does it degrade with time or does it deal ok with garbage collection?

and as for high res, I'm mostly concerned about the UI being a bit small, but the biggest concern I have is downsizing the resolution when playing games, wont that make them blurry since Im not running at the native resolution?

8. snouter macrumors 6502a

Remember folks, you can always upgrade the SSD later, probably for ever less money.

Get things initially you can't upgrade like high res screens, VRAM and so forth.

9. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Buy the stock HDD.
    Rip out said drive.
    Place drive in enclosure.
    Replace with x25.
    Done.
    10 mins.

SSD's BLOW 7200 out of the water, period. Let that CPU breathe with an Intel SSD and some ram and you will see some power.

10. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Nop eu telefonei e nem sabiam que existiam. Acho que preferem se falas em ingles aqui ;)

128, even at blazing fast speed, is insufficient storage for me. It's a waste having such a fast machine, and only being able to drag around selected stuff.

11. max211 macrumors newbie

Hi.. I'm also thinking about to put the SSD for my 15" mbp. But as some of you said, the price of SSD will drop soon. I'm looking forward for Intel's since it's the best out there.

For now, I will have to choose normal 512gb, but the question is, whether is it worth it to go for the 7200rpm one? I mean, will the speed be noticable or will it affect battery life a lot? :confused: