500GB seagate 7200 or WD Scorpio blue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badgerman, Oct 21, 2009.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Ok so just went to 4 GB ram on 2.0 collectors unibody MB and starting to struggle with 160GB HD.

Searched and looks like it's between seagate 500 GB 7200 rpm and WD Scorpio blue 5400 rpm.

Both have good n some bad with some contradicting views on 5400 v 7200

However most are from early summer threads. Is there any updated views on the current best hdd upgrade for mb? Any other options now under £100?

Don't want heat or battery issues. Would like some real world performance upgrade to std 160gb. WD is £59 from amazon and SG is £85 from overclockers so not masses in cost. Which is best in Autumn 09?

Also I assume these would still fit the new uMBP and what is likelyhood of it fitting in the next updated version?
    Cheers

2. XP Defector macrumors 6502

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I have the WD in my CD Mac Mini. It's extremely good - very quiet, very fast in day-to-day usage, has given my machine a new lease of life.

Would definitely recommend.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Personally I think this is the same question, different notebook, but same answer. The 7200 is bound to cause vibration but it will be pretty darn fat. The 5400 won't vibrate so much and will be fast enough. If you think the vibration is going to be okay go with the 7200, the segate is a great drive.

5. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies.
    so what sort of vibration do u mean? I don't notice anything now just the fan with heavy usage.

How much faster is 7200 in real wold vs 160 std? I guess I do see beachballing opening up videopodcasts or playing with iMovie.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The Scorpio Blue is available in 640GB too now

7. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure I need that amount especially as only got 500 TM.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

The WD is quieter.

The Seagate is a little faster IMHO, but does have vibration issues.

I have both in two different machines.

9. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does HD vibration sound/ feel like?

I usually use a table or a belkin cushion.

10. Ceebler macrumors newbie

I just bought the WD myself.

In a related question, I want to upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard....should I upgrade the current drive first, then clone and install, or should I clone and install, then upgrade the OS?

Thanks for any help.

11. analytical44 macrumors regular

I'll reluctantly recommend the Scorpio Blue. While I have seen a speed increase from the stock drive, the Blue has a constant (low but audible) "woosh" sound and it clicks a few times each minute. In comparison, the stock drive was virtually silent. The capacity and speed increase are worth it to me though as these noises are only mildly annoying and can really only be heard in near silence. Be warned however, I bought another Blue to see if it would be less noisy and not only was it louder, the vibration was out of this world (the one currently installed almost never vibrates to a level where I can feel it). These issues seem to be drive specific, so I would recommend buying from a local store so that you can return if you get an especially noisy or heavily vibrating drive.

12. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers that is interesting, anyone else had this issue with the Scorpio Blue?

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It makes a very small sound but I'd take it any day over chance of vibration from the Seagate 7200. I have a few WD drives and all have been very reliable. Others may have different stories but I've got a drawer full of dead Fujitsu, Hitachi and Seagates. No dead WD's which will keep me buying them.

14. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I have 4 of the 500GB Scorpio Blue drives right now. Two of them are in external "portable" drive housings, one in a 17" Early 2008 MBP and one in a 2007 Mac Mini. I have had one drive failure (after ~6 months of use) for the drive that was in the MBP. It was replaced under warranty by WD. My comments are:

The drive in the MBP runs ~34-35c during normal use, In the mini, it runs ~50c. I am assuming this difference is because of the physical architecture mini does not do as good a job of getting the heat away from the drive. I do not "hear" the drives running in either the mini or the MBP. I don't feel any "extra" vibration in the MBP.

So, in summary, I have had a 25% drive failure rate ... but that is way too little data to be able to determine a trend. I think the drive gets warm in a mini ... but that is the same temp as the previous 7200rpm 200GB drive it replaced. I really don't see any speed difference in my daily acts of computing on the mini between the 7200rpm drive and the Blue.

YMMV

15. timeslip macrumors member

PM me, I have an exra Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM 2.5" drive for sale. I am using one of them in my Macbook Pro Unibody and no issues.

16. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I have installed several of the 500 7200 Seagates at work for customers and I have had no issues with any of them. I even have one in my MBP and I have no issues. Slightly less battery life, but nothing to write home about (reduction of about 10-15 mins compared to 4 - 4:30 hrs, not a bad performance trade off IMO)

17. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok so pulled trigger on wd from amazon.

Cheers for advice.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good call. I love WD myself. I believe, unless issued by Apple, I have nothing but WD.

19. pinchez macrumors member

I have a 500GB 7200 Seagate in my Unibody Macbook and have no vibration issues :confused:

It's a nice drive...

20. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

ive used the same 500GB WD Scorpio Blue and I've never really heard it. Works amazing. No issues...at all.

Got it on eBay last Xmas for like $85 with the Microsoft Cashback deal they had going on.

21. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any tips for installing new HD?

Seen a few good vids and looks easier than changing RAM.

However I will be using TM, is there anything special I need to do. Will all programs be reinstalled with the same settings?

Do I just boot it up with SL and choose TM in disk utility?

Cheers

22. analytical44 macrumors regular

Swapping the drive really is a breeze, the RAM made me much more nervous. Just make sure you have the right tools: Phillips 00 for the bottom case/support bracket and Torx T6 for the mounting screws. Can't really help you out with the TM question tho, I've used Carbon Copy Cloner the couple times I've done it.

23. Ceebler macrumors newbie

iFixIt has some good info on doing the HDD swap. They seem to like (and I've heard this from others) SuperDuper for cloning the current drive over to the new drive better then TM. I am planning on doing it this way.

24. thagomizer macrumors 6502

I also have the 500GB 7200RPM seagate in my 17" 2007 Macbook Pro and have no vibration or other issues to speak of. Very fast drive.

25. jon08 macrumors 65816

Exactly the story with my Scorpio Blue 500GB (on early 2008 MBP)!!! So you say the replacement option is pretty much a risky game - either you might receive a click-less HD, or not? Is there anything at all that could be done to reduce this clicking and all?