500GB Seagate Hybrid Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ranviper, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

As I continue in my quest for a new hard drive for my 2010 MBP, I have come across this sweet little thing. a 500 GB 7200rpm Seagate hybrid HDD/SSD.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/YST9500562AS/

It's a very cool idea, but I am not really a hardware techy person, so I just have a couple questions about it. With the inclusion of a hybrid make much of a difference. I know it probably will in boot up speeds, but anything else?

Also, any other advantages to having a hybrid rather than a typical HDD. Thanks in advance!

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

As far as a 500GB HDD goes, id recommend the WD scorpio black drive. Very pleased with mine.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You may want to research that drive a bit more. There are huge numbers of problems reported on various forums including Seagates, although *supposedly* many have been fixed by the latest firmware. I'm a bit remiss to even buy into the "fix" since many of the reported problems were after the drive had been used a while and the firmware is relatively new.

I have the non-hybrid Momentus drive in an older MBP machine and it's been flawless, and I agree with another poster, the WD Scorpio Black drives have shown to be generally problem free.

4. ctbear macrumors 6502a

How about installing the Scorpio Black in Optibay? Any issues?

5. ranviper thread starter macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Alright, I've found a 750GB scorpio black 7200 rpm HDD that I like, but does WD make any hybrid drives? And if they do, any suggestions.

And Ill also re-ask my above question - do hybrid drives have any advantages over a regular HDD??

6. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah I have heard people mention that the momentus xt has some issues with mbp's. Not to mention that it is ridiculously overpriced from owc. It has been 99 for quite some time from amazon and newegg lately.

7. Affirmed macrumors member

Currently Running the Seagate Momentus XT with no problems

I'm running this drive in my 2011 MacBook Pro and experiencing no problems. That being said, a lot of people are having issues and if you are worried about it, get the scorpio which seems to have less complaints.

Just like the freakout with the MacBook temperatures, the new graphics cards, etc - you have to be patient and realize that not everyones experience is the same and that with any new hardware there will be issues to work out. I have had no problems with my new 15inch before or after installing the Seagate Hybrid drive and I'm even running the original (23) firmware.

8. ranviper thread starter macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Does it make a big difference in performance? Mostly in regards to some moderate video editing (final cut pro) and some moderate gaming (black ops, assassins creed, SC2 and WoW)

9. xxjudgmentxx macrumors member

None whatsoever. The gain is usually in boot/application launch time. Mostly boot time. I used one of these in my Windows 7 PC and after you reboot a few times it is able to cache the most frequently accessed/first accessed files to the NAND portion of the hard drive which in turn cut my boot time by ~20 seconds. General and application *performance* will be largely identical to a standard HDD.

10. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah exactly what the previous poster said. I don't think you will notice much difference in gaming or general applications. It's more for boot time and frequently used programs (booting, safari, mail, office)

11. budman1961 macrumors regular

You might want to search in this forum, many threads on the Seagate Momentus XT already. Im happy with mine, except for about a 10% hit on battery life.

12. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Considering my own experiences with the hard drive, I have to concur. Boot times and launching frequently used apps are great, but other than that, it performs similarly to most other mechanical hard drives.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

There's numerous posts on this. Try looking at those posts to find more people's opinion. I've had two of them and returned both. Its a waste of money.

14. ranviper thread starter macrumors 6502a

ranviper

I would search, but I got all the answers I needed here.

Thanks everyone, I think Ill go with the 750 7200rpm WD. :D