500GB Stock to 240GB Vertex3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bossmanjunior, Apr 7, 2011.

1. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

I don't know if this is different on a mac (i've dont it with great difficulty on a pc) but using carbon copy, how difficult and what steps are involved in cloning my current hard drive onto the new vertex 3?

things to consider:
    -the new hard drive is smaller
    -can i keep my programs?
    -what sort of equipment/software do i need? (enclosure, cc, etc.)

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Carbon Copy is ridiculously easy. Select source, select target and make a cup of coffee. As long as the source isn't bigger than the target you should be fine.

3. golgo1313 macrumors regular

if i remember correctly, CCC cannot create partitions, therefore cannot copy over the bootcamp portion of the original drive. i think one can use winclone for that.

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    yes i have used winclone several times over the past couple of months, for me and a few friends, having made the leap to ssd!

to OP i would recommend fresh install os osx and then data migration
    CCC did work terribly well for my transfer of 42GB from my 500gb 7200 stock to my 120gb ssd - the whole system was sluggish and apps were painfully slow, and this was over a firewire 800 external.

I did an erase and clean install of osx 10.6.7 and then migrated my data. I then made sure i could boot from the drive before installing it into the MBP

5. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

By this you mean the amount of data right?

Fx. copying from a 750gb HDD to a 240gb SSD is still possible as long as the amount of data copied isnt more than 240gb...

Edit: nevermind, post above mine answered that question :) But regarding that, is the sluggish thing a general problem when copying from HDD to SSD?

6. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

what ever you do,make sure you leave 10% of ssd FREE SPACE!!! it needs it to maintain speed.also,apparently fresh install is better,but thats oni an opinion,not fact.ps,when i installed a vertex 120 v-2 into my last unibody,i did a clean reinstall,i also formatted it TWICE,SINGLE PASS ERASE ONLY!!!dont use anything but single pass on it,in ocz,s ssd tool,after 6mnths gaming,fotos-vids and relatively heavy use,it was at 100% block sectors and nearly perfect condition,

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1. I'd defiantly do the Write Zeros security option when you format the drive. That way every sector is initialized. And I try to keep 10% for its non-degradation functions too.

8. golgo1313 macrumors regular

interesting... this is something i've never heard before... initialize ssd with write zero, atleast once, if not twice, and do a clean install, and not clone.

good to know...

9. bossmanjunior thread starter macrumors member

bossmanjunior

alright so im a complete ssd noob. would someone explain how i would go about doing these ^^ initial writes for my drive. Assuming i take the current hdd out of my mbp, replace it with the ssd i would: 1. reinstall osx 2. ...

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Well, if you plan on doing a clean install onto the SSD you can do it from the initial screen booting from the install DVD. Instead of installing right away, go to uilities in the menu and go to disk utility. From there you can format the drive. You'll actually have to do this anyway, as the SSD won't come to you fomratted for your mac.

11. sydenham macrumors regular

I just went through what you want to do. I ended up doing a fresh install, and dragging over my Mail, itunes folder, iphoto library and WOW. When I installed iLife I deselected Garage band, and things I don't use. I have 150gb left so that leaves me with a bit of room on the drive. Anything else I need is just a USB external hard drive connection away.