[500gb Time Capsule] Initial Backup ALWAYS Fails

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 7302473, Nov 3, 2008.

1. 7302473 Suspended

I picked up a 500gb Time Capsule the other day to be used as my main router in my house and to be my new source for my Time Machine files.

I began to do the Initial Backup to the 500gb Time Capsule, BUT EVERYTIME I run the Initial Backup it will fail and say "Time Machine Error. Unable to complete backup. A network problem may have interrupted the connection between your computer and the backup volume.".

And here's the weird part; I also loose all connectivity to the Time Capsule as well. I loose internet, I loose the ability to access the network and when I run the Airport Utility it can't even see the Time Capsule until i restart both my Macbook and Time Capsule. The connection is still there though cause the green light where my network cable is plugged in on the Time Capsule is still lit up.

I have tried to reset the Time Capsule multiple times, format the Time Capsule HD (multiple times and even wrote all zeroes to the drive), ran the backup over wifi and a wired connection and still nothing works.

Help please!

2. RabYoung macrumors newbie

Time Capsule back-up Problems

My experience will probably be of little use as I had no issue on the intitial back-up of both my Mac Mini and iMac. I have both connected by wire and certainly it took some time to complete even though they are both running at 1Gb/s. I suggest you try again connected by wire. I've seen elswhere that it's recommended to do the first back-up via a wired connection.

3. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Im thinkin on the drobo or the time capsule for backup I cant make my mind... but im leaning to drobo because is a cool piece of hardware.

4. 7302473 thread starter Suspended

It's weird cause it will do 20gb of the backup and then fail

5. rogair macrumors member

Make sure you run software update on your Macbook and ensure you have all your updates done.

DO NOT do the initial backup via wifi. It states this on the documentation on the Apple site. Make sure you are wired, then you can do your periodic backups via wifi.

If that doesn't work, reset your TC to factory, and try again. If it still doesn't work you need to take it to an Apple store.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Another thing to try is to make sure both your Time Capsule and the TC's HDD have short names. 8 characters or less, no spaces or apostrophes, etc. Don't know why but there seems to be a stability issue with TCs that have long names.

7. 7302473 thread starter Suspended

I just dropped the Time Capsule off for repair at my local apple authorized service center. Hopefully they can fix it!! :D