500GB Time Capsules

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Antowns, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Antowns macrumors member

Hi,

Interested in buying the 500GB model. Not really having much to backup though so not interested in the 1TB model, just university documents when my girlfriend starts in september. With the release of the 2TB model I'm assuming that the 500GB will drop on Ebay. Do you think I'll be able to pick one up in a couple of months for £120-130?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Technology will always be cheaper around the corner. If you need it now, don't wait.

Using an external USB hard drive + Airport Extreme Base Station is a cheaper solution and provides the exact same functionality as a Time Capsule.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm not sure what they are going to go for on eBay in the U.K. but they will be on there starting today for cheap.

4. Antowns thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for the replies. I didn't realise you could plug USB into the AirPort Extreme so I might look into that because I have an external USB drive already I would of just preferred wireless thats why I looked into the Time Capsule.

I've just looked today on eBay and there doesn't seem to be any change yet so I'll keep an eye out and it may become cheaper to buy the time capsule and more beneficial in the long term as my external drive is just under 200GB.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Not all Airport Extremes and Time Capsules support USB drives, but the newest ones (simultaneous dual band) do for sure.

6. Antowns thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on eBay for the next few days. I'm not going to have the money to pay straight away so I'll keep an eye out until then.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Time Capsule was updated today. 1TB at old 500GB price, 2TB at old 1 TB price.

8. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

It's in the US store, as the "refurbished" 500GB Time Capsules are $199. I tend to suspect that when a model can no longer be sold as new, they end up in the refurb store......

9. Shuttleworth macrumors regular

10. Antowns thread starter macrumors member

They've gone down to £139 as I've checked tonight, probably going to buy one when my girlfriend gets back as I'm going to see if she'll pay half.

11. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

FYI dual band Airport Extreme is model number: MB763LL/A. $179 retail from apple.