500gig full best way to upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ROGERWILCO357, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

well i upgraded my 320 to 500 now that is full of pics and need to know the best way to go should i upgrade again to what ever the largest size drive i can put in this machine or should i get an external drive 2 terabyte and just start dumping the pics there ? what would you recommend in name brand drives ? What is the largest drive the MBP can hold now? I am using a MBP 13 2.53GHz C2D with 8 gigs of 1067 MHz DDR3 .
    Thanks any intel is appreciated
    Roger

2. simsaladimbamba

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I also recommend getting an external drive or drives. You need to need to make sure you have a solid back up strategy set up.

4. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

No doubt... external storage is the way to go.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I would go the external route, as well as back up route.

To answer the other question, you can put a 1TB in there (as that is the largest 2.5 at the time, and it will fit).

I would think about what is really necessary to have with you at all times. Is every pic you own necessary to carry at all time. I would guess not. Archive what you con't immediately need and back it up. Not only will that free up space on your MBP, but it will also speed it up, as the indexing on a full drive will slow down the system and speed up the seek times.

6. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

ok

got the external one terabyte and that is not enough may need to get another larger maybe 2 terabytes would like to get one of those setups where you have 2 or 3 in slots like a safe forget what those are called? thanks for all the help ..

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're dealing with in excess of 1 terebytes of data, you may want to consider a NAS which a multi-bay unit offers mirroring (if a volume fails the other still has data). Some units offer hot-swappable replacement so you can swap out the bad drive for a good drive and it will rebuild the RAID array on the fly.

8. unixperience macrumors regular

i would say external as well. and as a side note, hdd performance degrades GREATLY after a drive is more than half full. So airing on the larger side is always a plus.

Also if you get a drive, look into usb3.0m options, they are generally as cheap as 2.0 and fully compatible (no speed boost with 2.0 of course), but its just future proofing. and it works completely with existing usb 2.0

9. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

I agree with the others, with all that data you have it's best to use several external HDD's. By the way, how do you organize all those photos? Just wondering.

10. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

thanks

yes that is what i was thinking about one that mirrors and uses multiple bays thanks but which works best with the new thunder ports if any?anyone using this currently the setup that is?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a dearth of thunderbolt devices and being such, you're going to be paying a premium for any external drives that have the thunderbolt port. While the performance is awesome, the price may be too high