500mb My Book external Hard drive How Do I boot up from it??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sssail, Aug 23, 2008.

1. sssail macrumors newbie

I need to repair my hard drive.. I bought the Mybook 500GB external hardrive and cloned my hardrive to it. However, when I try to start up from it I can't. I hold down the option key it only shows Mac 10.4.11 HARD DISK and the E drive but not the external hard drive. IT is fire wire. I held down the M key no luck, the C key no luck and the option key, no luck. I went into system preferences and clicked "Mac OS X 10.4.11 on Hard disk boot" which is what I named it on the external hard drive. When I restart it starts from the hard disk internal????????
    MOS X 10.4.11 Powerbook G4
    The icons show up on my desk top and I can access them but they just don't show up as an option to start up from. I am not sure what I am or am not doing right! Any help, I would be grateful.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If the external drive is not appearing in the screen that results when you hold down the Option key at startup simply put the drive is not being recognized by the system as a bootable device since it will list ALL currently bootable devices there. Since it IS a firewire connection you are using as required by PPC based Macs to be bootable, something must have failed in the copy.

Did you use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to originally clone the drive? If it was Carbon Copy Cloner, just before you begin copying it will show a green light and a note mentioning that the copy will be bootable- did you see that?

If all else fails, use one of those two to clone the drive again and just see if something was missed in the cloning operation.

3. sssail thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I do remember seeing where it say this will be a bootable drive. I will try again.Oh I used carbon cloner. I partioned the external drive after I cloned it ?? I am afraid I know just enough to be dangerous! THanks for your help I will try it again.
    sssail3@aol

4. sssail thread starter macrumors newbie

Confuded

OK, I cloned it again and it did say it would be bootable! But, as before, it doesn't show up holding down the option key, the icons do show up on my desktop and I did click to erase it before it cloned :( and fire vault was off?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif
    I know not what to do!! Was I supposed to do something to to the external hard drive before using it??
    Thanks again!!!
    See attached picture!
    Any Ideas??

Attached Files:

5. sssail thread starter macrumors newbie

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what format is the external drive in??

why do you ahve to boot from the external when it seems to be working? if its not working please explain so we can answer you better(ly)

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

How is your Hard Drive formatted - unless it is partitioned as a non-Intel (Apple Partition Map) drive then your PowerBook won't be able to boot from it.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

i would be doing this

1. Plug the drive in mac sure it is mounted on the desktop
    2. Open disk utility and erase it to Mac OS format
    3. Open up carbon copy cloner and clone ur hdd to it
    4. Reboot and hold option key boot off the drive

If your trying to repair your main hdd, why not boot of the tiger disc and repair that way? Just put the cd in and hold C when your boot it will then boot of the cd

9. sssail thread starter macrumors newbie

The format of the external drive is whatever it was when I bought it( brand new) it said it was formatted for both MAC & PC.
    I have never been able to boot up from it althought the icons do show on my screen and I can click on them and get to the files and infformation. I have it partitioned into 2 sections,( hard sidk boot) & ( Bry1) both icons appear on the desk top.
    I cloned my hard drive aggain yesterday, took hours, named it" hard disk boot9/2" can't find it ????
    Thanks,
    Bryan

Attached Files:

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok geez its formatted as FAT32 then!!!

your going to have to reformat and repartion the whole thing im afraid to be able to boot through it....sorry

11. sssail thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to wipe my hard clean and start over and don't want to lose any of my currnet files or information.I have some bad blocks, whatever they are and disk utility as well as tech tool says to reinitialize the hard drive. I figure if I can boot up from the external hard drive wipe the hard clean then copy this one back onto the hard drive I will be ok without lossing any iformation?????? Wish I knew more about what I was doing. But my apple care ran out, I am trying to fix it myself.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seems simple to fix, first, i would reinstall using the "archive and reinstall" option. this method will save ALL of your files, preferences, settings, history.. the lot and reinstall just the system, applications blablabla. try that first and see how you go.

it is by far the easiest way to check if it will fix anything.

if that doesnt work, then go with your other ideas.

13. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Dude if you have bad blocks on the hdd, i would be replacing it not using it. Bad sectors will spread just like the common cold. They also cause the machine to slow down.

14. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

"Formatted for mac and PC" translates as FAT32. Tou can't fix this by just reformatting to "Mac OS Extended Journaled".

To get round it you have to;
    Open "Disk Utility"
    Click on the Drive i.e. "500GB WesternDigital..." NOT the Volume, i.e. MyBook"
    Click on the "partition" Tab
    Under "volume Scheme" select 1 Partition
    Neer the bottom, click on the "options" Button and select the appropriate partition map for your mac "GUID" for Intel Macs, "MBR" for Windows Booting and "Apple Partition Map" for PPC macs

Then clone it using CCC or your fave cloning app and make sure that you click the "make bootable" option

15. MacLover68 macrumors newbie

Here is where the problem may lay.....

I recently purchased a My Book Studio edition and formatted and cloned properly for my power pc processor. Couldn't boot from it. Couln't find a solution to it on any of the message boards. I went to WD site to contact them. After submitting my information their site took me to a page that stated the following:

The following external hard drives are bootable on Intel-based Macintosh computers systems through USB:
    My Book Essential Edition
    My Book Essential Edition 2.0
    My Book Home Edition
    My Book Mirror Edition
    My Book Office Edition
    My Book Premium Edition
    My Book Premium Edition II
    My Book Premium ES Edition
    My Book Pro Edition
    My Book Pro Edition II
    My Book Studio Edition
    My Book Studio Edition II
    My Passport Studio

The following external hard drives are bootable on Intel-based Macintosh computers systems through FireWire (1394a/b):

My Book Home Edition
    My Book Mirror Edition
    My Book Office Edition
    My Book Premium Edition
    My Book Pro Edition
    My Book Pro Edition II
    My Book Studio Edition
    My Passport Studio

The following external hard drives are bootable on Power PC based Macintosh computers systems through FireWire (1394a/b):

WD My Book Premium Edition
    WD My Book Pro Edition

The following external hard drives are not bootable on Power PC based Macintosh computers systems through USB/FireWire 1394(a/b):

My Book Essential Edition
    My Book Essential Edition 2.0
    My Book Home Edition
    My Book Mirror Edition
    My Book Office Edition
    My Book Pro Edition II
    My Book Studio Edition
    My Passport Studio
    My Passport Elite
    My Passport Essential
    WD PassportWD Passport (Silver)

So in conclusion, if you are on a Power PC Mac there are only two My Books that you can boot from as the rest are just for the intel based ones (if you want them to be bootable). This is very dissapointing!

16. valexa macrumors member

Upon my tests on intel mac's newer My Book Studio drives (eg: WDBAAJ0020HSL) will not boot when connected with firewire, only with usb, even with a GUID partition.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seriously? thats a PITA. how did you attempt to boot? holding option? selecting through system prefs?

18. luxurycat macrumors newbie

Yeah dude, it's a known firewire bug.

Next time when you don't see your firewire drive, simply unplug it and plug it back, it should become available to boot from in a couple of seconds.

It may sound dodgy but it works, and seems to be the only solution until the problem's addressed in an update.