503 Cycles - Here are my battery stats...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TommyBoy5, May 23, 2016.

1. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

Heavy portable user here...that's why we buy these tiny gems, right? ;)

Plug it in every night, use it all day. Absolutely no special battery care or treatment whatsoever.

503 Cycles
    Maximum Charge: 4059 mAh
    Design Capacity: 5297 mAh

Maximum Charge: 76.9%

All stats per Coconut Battery. rMB purchased new (1.2Ghz/512Gb) the first week they came out in 2015.

Probably not too many users out there with over 500 cycles so I thought this might be helpful. My rMB is over a year old but I do have Applecare so I'll take it in when the battery hits 70%. At that point it's too low to get me through my day without a recharge so I'll need it to be back up in the 90%s.

2. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

3 years in and only 371 cycles on 95% health.

3. Bonaqua macrumors member

Wow. That's not normal right?

4. TommyBoy5 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, but that's not on a rMB and on an annual basis you burn about 125 cycles, or only 25% of what I burned during this first year.

My wife's MB is at 87% after more than 3 years. It's plugged in most of the time and frankly she doesn't use it much at all (iPad user).
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2016 ---
    Who knows? The rMB is only a little over a year old and there probably aren't many out there over 500 cycles. Not sure what normal is since it's a new form factor for them. My 2007 MBP certainly did much better.

5. lite426 macrumors regular

76.9% is really bad, I mean that's like a quarter less than advertised battery life. Mine's at 231 cycles and 88%.

6. TommyBoy5 thread starter macrumors member

I know it's not supposed to be linear...but 12% over 231 cycles would equate to around 25% after 500 cycles which is pretty much what I am seeing.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'm not sure there is any relationship at all. Mine went to about 90% within the first 30 cycles and has remained there for almost a year.

8. objektør, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016

objektør macrumors regular

objektør

Thanks.
    How long does it last you at 75%? Is it causing trouble besides not taking you through the day.
    Is it swollen or do you get a Coconut notice to replace it?
    I am normally at 50-75% brightness, not a power user (iMovie, Keynote, Sketchup and the usual Safari and Mail).

I am at 264 cycles, 87-89% health. 1,1years old battery.
    Last month I was down at 82% almost straight down from 92%. Slowly coming up to 88% now and it looks stable again for the time being.
    Mine has been like this from day one: stable- decrease really fast- slowly rising a bit and then stable for some time.
    My main power is an inverter(230V) connected to 12V batteries/ wind generator. Every time I use it on 'normal' mains when I am on the mainland it drops significantly. Home again (connected to the inverter) it crawls up but not to its original level.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Likely it`s due to your use of an inverter, as the mains voltage output may be 230V AV, equally the output may be very different from the mains supply depending on the inverter and how much "smoothing" of the output AC voltage is going on. "Basic" inverters produce a square wave, versus AC mains being a sine wave, PSW, MSW inverters etc.

Have you considered charging the rMB from a purely DC source over USB C? FWIW my own 2015 1.2 rMB battery fluctuates between 88% - 93%

Q-6

10. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

It looks more like it is the change between mains and converter that is causing the rapid decrease. If so, I don't know why.

And my battery numbers do not look so different from other users on this forum. Or even better.
    I plan to continue to use mine as I do now (I have no other option anyway) and hope it will last me another 2 to 3 years.
    Had a 2009MBP with a swollen battery (after 4 years) which seriously influenced the usability (esp trackpad).
    That is my main concern.

11. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

my macbook 2009.

cycles: 292
    Health: 89%

was at 93% but the guys on another mac forum told me not to run battery down all the way and just like use 10-20% then recharge. I was following what they said as they know more than me.

It dropped to this 89%, so I am now going back to my old system of run down to 5-10% then recharge.
    This is when I got 93%.
    Had 85% health when first got this laptop 2nd hand off ebay.

Only had it about a month.

Stats from coconut battery.

12. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

You can get that battery replaced for free as its below the apple 1000 cycle 80% limit.

13. TommyBoy5 thread starter macrumors member

Whoa! That's the first I've ever heard of a 1000 cycle limit. I always thought it was anything below 80% was replaced free of charge within one year without Applecare and within three years with Applecare.

Makes perfect sense that there would be a cycle limit.

14. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201585

15. icymountain macrumors regular

I see nothing under this link about the replacement policy discussed above. Only a definition of "when a battery is considered consumed" (which does not seem to mean too much from what is said there).

16. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

My white MacBook is 6 years old and at 73% after 2500 cycles. Not bad going I guess! So a year old MacBook at 76% is definitely not looking good!

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

CoconutBattery is a great app, but I've always found the capacity percentage readings to fluctuate wildly (this isn't a problem unique to CB either). This week alone, it's reported my battery health as low as 54% and as high as 77%. Granted my laptop is a bit older, though with not that many more cycles (2011 MBP, 750 cycles).

I'd go on how long it lasts as opposed to the capacity percentage as it just never seems too reliable.

18. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I was using battery guard from app store.

seemed slightly more stable as to percentage over a period of time.

my 2009 macbook gets about 3-4 hours on wifi and loading few webpages.

Im at work so not at keyboard all this time.
    If I was always at keyboard using it I'd guess 2.5 to 3 hour battery time.