50mm EF lens on 450D/XSi

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Styxie, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Styxie macrumors member

Hi guys,

I was just wondering, what happens when I put a 50mm EF lens on my 450D? Will I get the same focal length as my EF-S 18-55 set to 30mm? There's this thing with crop factor (1.6), and I don't quite get it.
    My dad has a 35mm camera. If he uses his 50mm lens, and I use the EF (not EF-S) 50mm lens, will I see the same thing as my dad does?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No it's a 50mm lens so it's the same as the EF-S lens set to 50mm. Canon do no correct for the crop factor on EF-S lenses (as in absolute terms the crop factor is just that:a crop not an alteration of focal length).

So no: you will not see the same on a crop body as on a 35mm (full frame) body using a 50mm lens or any Canon zoom set to 50mm.

3. wheelhot macrumors 68000

A EF 50mm will give you a 80mm FoV on a cropped sensor. FoV stands for Field of View, its not exactly extending the "zoom" of your lens but rather just the field of view, even I got confused until someone explained to me :D

So conclusion, no. You will not see the same thing as your dad film camera.

4. Edge100 macrumors 68000

As others have said, EF and EF-S lenses of the same focal length will produce the same image crop/field of view.

It's a bit confusing, I know, since EF-S lenses are "made for 1.6x crop sensors", making you think that they have somehow corrected for the crop. They haven't. EF-S lenses just project a smaller image onto the sensor than an EF lens, but the field of view is the same at the same focal length.