Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
I own the 50mm 1.8 which is a great lens for the Price :D but I am thinking about Upgrading to a 50 1.4 (the 1.2 is too expensive) There is the Canon USM 50mm 1.4 and the Sigma HSM 1.4 50mm

The Sigma , for some reason is More expensive :eek: what is the advantage of the sigma over the canon :confused:

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2006
Better build, faster focus, sharper picture, a bokeh that will make your eyes bleed... etc.

In all seriousness, it is far superior to Canon's equivilant 1.4 in so many ways.

It is a very special lens.

QC is a bit lacking. I sent had to send mine in but got it back in a week and it was perfect.

Que Canon loyalists in 3...2...1...

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
The Sigma is a newer design than the Canon, by more than a decade. Wide open, it is much sharper; though it has corner softness issues on a full-frame camera, they are not present on a cropped sensor.

Like RedDragon said, there are quality control issues, so if you get one, make sure it focuses properly, etc. Otherwise, it is by far the superior choice, with the commensurate premium price.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am not so sure about the "far superior" part. It does perform better in general, particularly corner sharpness from f/1.4 to f/2.8 or so. But I found the differences to be fairly trivial, although thanks to 9 circular aperture blades (vs. 7 non-circular on Canon), smoother bokeh. Mechanically, it feels a bit more higher-end than Canon, largely thanks to HSM (vs. micro USM on Canon).

If you do decide on Sigma, just be sure to buy it from a store with good return policy. It is known for very % of inconsistent focus accuracy.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
While I shoot Nikon, I can agree with the Pro-Sigma comments. My good friend shoots Canon from some lenses, and Nikon for others. His Sigma 1.4 on the Canon has buttery smooth bokeh, and focuses super quick.

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere
I own the 50mm 1.8 which is a great lens for the Price :D but I am thinking about Upgrading to a 50 1.4 (the 1.2 is too expensive) There is the Canon USM 50mm 1.4 and the Sigma HSM 1.4 50mm

Here's my take on this on a very similar thread from a couple weeks ago. Basically, keep your 50mm f/1.8 and get an 85mm f/1.8 USM. It rocks. Having both of them gives you a lot more flexibility.

I've also got the Zeiss ZE 50mm f/1.4. If you like manual focus or want to learn, it's a very satisfying lens to use.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've also got the Zeiss ZE 50mm f/1.4. If you like manual focus or want to learn, it's a very satisfying lens to use.

I have a Zeiss 50mm lens also. Made was made in "USSR occupied Germany" in the mid 1950s. It is still as good as anything made today. (the lens in in an Exacta mount.)

I think the best way to know if you need an f/1.4 lens is to look at the data recorded with each image. Are many of the images shot at f/1.8? If so this says that you might have used f/1.4 had it been available. But if you mostly shoot at f/2 then you wouldn't use f/1.4

That said, another advantage of the faster lens on an SLR is the viewfinder will be brighter.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Have you considered old lens + a mount converter?
50mm f1.4 from Pentax + a m42EOS converter. It's cheap and great quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.