Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
I usually never turn off my computer. I just put it to sleep mode. Is it better to shut it down every night? or putting into sleep mode is fine? :confused:

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Doesn't really matter. Some people might say restarting puts strain on the battery but I don't know about that.

Choose whatever you want. People on here prefer sleep I think.

I chose to shut down everytime though.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
This is an age old question that will probably spark a lot of responses.

So here's my answer... sleep. It's rumored shutting down and starting back up will wear on the drive. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. Frankly I don't care, but it's really just more convenient to put my Mac to sleep. Much faster to wake up and get going!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
yea im just wondering, which one would be better for my battery and computer.

rlm22b

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Indiana
I had heard some things about the strains of shutting down computers a lot. I used to shut down all the time seeing that I was used to it with Windows, as of late though I only sleep my MBP. I've gone up to a week without shutting it down(Did it on accident :() and it runs just smooth as a fresh boot. I'm at 5 days without shutting down at the moment. Bypassing the boot process is another plus.

bandaros

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
L.A.
This is an age old question that will probably spark a lot of responses.

So here's my answer... sleep. It's rumored shutting down and starting back up will wear on the drive. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. Frankly I don't care, but it's really just more convenient to put my Mac to sleep. Much faster to wake up and get going!

Never heard of the HD wearing down thing - interesting if it's true...

I just put mine to sleep as well - faster to wake it up rather than boot it cold...

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Anyone else have more problems with lockups and kernel panics on their intel machines than ppc waking from sleep?? I'm just having terrible luck with my MBP, especially with USB devices and sleep/wake causing kernel panics. The thing can't go a week without one or two. My little powerbook chugs along for 2 weeks at a time between restarts (updates usually) before it even starts acting a little sluggish. This is a new penryn mbp too. I'm thoroughly disappointed.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
I've had a G4 iBook, MB 2.0, MB 2.2, MBA 1.6, and MBP 2.5; all of my machines go for weeks on end with no glitches or "sluggishness" and I sleep all of them. I've also never had a kernel panic related to sleep, or waking up. And I've used all of mine in a "docked" way as well: plugging/unplugging power, usb devices, bluetooth controllers, and external monitor while sleeping and awake.

No problems at all.

tdevers

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2008
I usually just put mine to sleep. It goes a week or two before restarting. At least until recently when my mouse disappears when waking from sleep. Its still there, just not visible.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I've had a G4 iBook, MB 2.0, MB 2.2, MBA 1.6, and MBP 2.5; all of my machines go for weeks on end with no glitches or "sluggishness" and I sleep all of them. I've also never had a kernel panic related to sleep, or waking up. And I've used all of mine in a "docked" way as well: plugging/unplugging power, usb devices, bluetooth controllers, and external monitor while sleeping and awake.

No problems at all.

This disappoints me. Not that you have no problems, i'm happy about that, but that I AM haha This is my replacement MBP bc my first one kept having power issues. I don't think I've had a KP since 10.5.4 so maybe it was a software issue. Think I should call Aplcare if it happens again tho?

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I usually just put mine to sleep. It goes a week or two before restarting. At least until recently when my mouse disappears when waking from sleep. Its still there, just not visible.

Yeah I'm having the mouse problem too!!

dtblaze

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Sleep 24/7 and restart or shut down like at least once a month is proper i think.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only time I've ever shut down my MBP, iBook, Powerbook was when I traveled, i.e., going to the airport. All of my laptops lasted years with no tale tell sign of excessive wear.

With the advent of the SSD, it makes sleeping even easier and less risky (no hard drive to crash).

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Sleep 24/7 and restart or shut down like at least once a month is proper i think.

I do that, but weekly instead of monthly. I have not noticed any change in performance. I'm just so used to rebooting often with Windows...

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
With the advent of the SSD, it makes sleeping even easier and less risky (no hard drive to crash).

Why would you say this? Isn't the HDD spun down and parked in Sleep mode on Macs as it is in Suspend mode on a Windows laptop? How is that functionally different from Hibernate or Power-Off in terms of the hard drive (I know the differences elsewhere).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i shutdown. sleeping is futile.
That makes no sense at all. Sleeping is not futile, whether you choose to do it or not.
There is no "proper" method. Some only use sleep and never shut down or restart for months at a time, with no negative effects.
Resurrect a 2 1/2 year old thread to post a link to a 2 1/2 year old article. How "current" of you!

jimba

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
I usually put my mbp on sleep during night time and shut it down only if I plan not using it for like 2 days or if I have to take it somewhere. I guess I'm doing fine :D

BigMoo

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2010
Use mine throughout the day and when im not using it i just put it to sleep, then when i go to bed i just plug this bad boy in to the AC charger. Wake up the next morning unplug and do it all over again, works just fine for me. I only restart it for major updates, that's about it.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
I usually have mine on sleep but I do a shut down on those rare occasions when I'm not going to use it for a few days. I think there's some advise given in the MBP's accompanying manual.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
It's probably just a force of habit learned from my father ("Turn that TV off! You'll wear out the bulb! Turn the computer off! It only has so many hours! Turn off that... and that...!") but I always turn things OFF when I'm not using them.

Sure it may be convenient to have your laptop in sleep mode 24/7, but somewhere in the back of my mind I'm subconsciously counting down the seconds until my electronics "expire." It's a rough life.

Resurrect a 2 1/2 year old thread to post a link to a 2 1/2 year old article. How "current" of you!

Haha. I just noticed this thread is from 2008... I hope the OP sees this and his/her question is finally answered. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.